march performance is crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

slone56

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 5, 2008
I just created a very long post, but it got lost when i hit submit. I am too mad to sit here and retype, it. I usually "COPY" it before I post, just for this reason, oh well.

Basically it said, that March puts out crappy stuff that doesn't fit right. And there website offers no usable help for the kit I bought.

I put on an electric water pump and bought there pulley/bracket kit. Belts are cocked, they have no idea what size belt you will need to make it work. Bolt hits the p/s pump and interfere with adjustment, p/s adjustment travel could not be a poorer design.

They said, I must have a different type SBC block. WOW!!!! Nice advice!

St.Pete_MC

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 6, 2009
wow never headr of anything like that from march.

sorry for your bad experience

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
Have any pics of the clearance issues that you can post?

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Thousands of dollars for superfluous belts and pulleys is a synonym for crap to me.

slone56

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 5, 2008
I will put up clearance pics in a few days

slone56

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 5, 2008
Took some pics, but they don't show the problem clearly, basically the "ridge" that sticks out of the back of the pump hits the bolt that screws into the head.

The belt sizes needed are as follows:
Alt- 6 groove, 33-3/4"
P/S- 5 groove, 39"

The newer kits are a double 6 groove. I am so sick of having my car torn down, that my new 700R4 and 2" lower spindles are sitting in the corner, waiting patiently. I want to drive it awhile, before I tear it down again.

carbuf

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 14, 2009
Jacksonville, Fl.
I've never personally used any of the March stuff, but a friend of mine did. I remember hearing him complain about fitment issues and having to grind on some of the brackets and put washers on others to get his belts to line up. Admittedly, they look great, but nothing aftermarket ever fits like it should without some tweaking.

slone56

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 5, 2008
LOL, you are right. I guess I should be glad that things like Lunati cams and Crane rockers, fit without having to modify anything!

slone56

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 5, 2008
It just makes me mad that big companies like this get away with charging big money for crap. I have spent alot of money on the hobbies that I have had over the years, and "THE Top Company" has always done this to me. I like having the best, and this is another over charging/under R&D company. I don't mind paying for quality, "IF" I get it.

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
I think part of the problem is not so much March, but the fact that there are many different variations on castings of engine blocks, water pumps, etc.

For example, look at some after market timing covers for SBC. Many come with disclaimers that some material may have to be grinded down from certain water pumps in order to fit.

Frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor