MEBE007's 80 Regal Build Thread almost there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: MEBE007's 80 Regal Build Thread w/ Carnage

well long time no see folks. build has been dead in the water as it has been over 100degrees in my shop and after working in it all day i didnt feel like staying after to work on the car.

to answer the some peoples questions. the only part of the motor i did not do is the pushrods/valve train adjustment. My budd, well supposed buddy who is/was my machinist did that part when i was out of town. i screwed up and trusted him and now see where i am. learned my lesson. he said he was going to take care of me and replace my rocker studs and also the pushrods and new intake gaskets. well hes been dicking me around this whole time and now not answering my calls. guess the friendship is over huh. So anyways now i need to save up the money for new 7/16' studs, new 1206 gaskets, new header gaskets(pulled headers to make sure all exhaust valves were full seated and none stuck open in case of ptv clearance) and most likely new 1.5 ratio rockers. for some some reason i feel leary about the 1.6 ratio and figured i might just play the safe side and stay 1.5 and just keep the 1.6 on the shelf.

so here are some things i have found since this nice little break in the weather( hope it lasts) pulled the headers all intake valves appear to be fully seated, pulled the intake to get broken pushrods out, all intake valves appear to be fully seated. tapped a pushrod that wasnt broken as straight as possible with a hammer and took a measurement. guess what it came out to being.....................7.8", stock length. no wonder im having issues. according to howards cams website they suggest 2 of their pushrods for hydraulic roller cams using their kits, their performance series .060 wall thickness at 7.144" and their one piece swagged end .080" wall thickness at 7.150" now thats a big difference in length. now my heads (profilers) suggest +.100" longer pushrods which would still only put me at the 7.244" to 7.250". That means he put pushrods in my motor that were somewhere give or take around .5" too long. Simply crazy.

so now its time to get some money together and get this beast going.

2012-07-10_14-33-07_736.jpg

2012-07-10_14-33-17_50.jpg

well got my 6.8-7.8 adjustable pushrod in today so hope to have things sorted out here soon.

quick question, would you guys recommend going back to a 1.5 roller rocker or stick with the 1.6's?

Dude this is an awesome build, loving all the details. Did you get all of the broken pushrods out? Are you sure none of the metal got into the engine? I'd hate for some of that crap to get into the bearings.

Thanks man. Ill get to drive it one of these years lol. All pieces of pushrod are accounted for. Found no metalbparticals in lifter valley so all appears well

ok so got in there to measure my pushrod length. looks like i need a rod 7.350" long. this photo is taken with the scorpion 1.6 roller rockers with 1/4 turn preload from zero lash

pattern looks pretty darn good to me at 7.350"
2012-07-20_14-25-01_600.jpg

heres the same but on a diff cylinder

7.300"
2012-07-20_14-13-32_397.jpg

7.250"
2012-07-20_14-07-14_233.jpg

wear on valve tip from pushrods that machinist installed ( i measured at 7.8") key not the rocker arm could not move in full due to it binding on the poly lock hence the broken studs
2012-07-20_14-31-05_650.jpg

now one concern i do have is that i was cleaning off all my rockers and noticed the roller tips had a bit of a tight spot in them like a rough feeling in the bearings in 1 spot when rolling them in my fingers. is this anything to be concerned about?

I wish I knew more about engines so I could help you get this thing back on the road. 😳

thanks bud. hopefully someone will chime in here soon

Your pattern looks good. My guy told me you want pattern alittle toward intake side because when valve is down roller tip goes outwards towards exhaust side of head. And as tight of a wear zone in center after rotateing. In other words no wider then a 1/8 between a 1/16 and 1/8. So you look good.

Ok cool. Im going to clean my rockers in mineral spirits tomorrow to see if its just some grime in them then looks like ill order dome comp high tech pushrods in 7.350" .080" wall thickness along with my 1206 intake gaskets.

Would you suggest a stud girdle?

ok so talked to scorpion today and they said the nose roller simply rides on a hardened axle with no bearing and i am feeing is probably just a little trash in it. they said to clean with solvent then follow with a 24hour soak in motor oil and it should clear things up. so going to try that tomorrow and see how it goes. they said if i still have issues call them back and theyll see what they can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor