MEBE007's 80 Regal Build Thread almost there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: MEBE007's 80 Regal Build Thread

why thank yah sir. I sure tried to make it look professional :twisted:

I've been following your progress for a while...and i have to say your ride is coming out very fresh..i like the CFR pulley setup..i just checked their site and the prices are nice for the complete pulley combo and the PS and alt brackets..keep it up bro..

Thanks guys. Once I get back in town ill be looking forward to getting more done

Re: MEBE007's 80 Regal Build Thread w/ Carnage

well today started off great. got all my welds grinded down and the whole floor self etched then seam sealed. ruberized undercoated the underside and painted the topside. looks great. then i filled up all my fluids, primed the oil system and lit off the motor. all was well and about a minute in it started making a loud pop noise so i shut it down. pulled the valves covers and it broke 5 rocker studs, broke 3 pushrods, and bent the other 13 also chewed up some rockers. its wierd because it was running rather well i thought for nothing being adjusted yet. i checked the dist and it was a little loose. what could have caused this? i need to pull the intake so i can get a broken pushrod out of the lifter valley. any input would be great.

2012-05-20_17-33-16_619.jpg

2012-05-20_17-33-27_7.jpg

2012-05-20_17-33-31_207.jpg

2012-05-20_18-41-42_207.jpg

2012-05-20_18-41-49_542.jpg

2012-05-20_19-24-45_342.jpg

2012-05-20_19-25-02_183.jpg

ok so im hoping this is simplier than what i originally thought. upon further inspection of the rockers and the poly locks i notice there is a nice wear mark on the body of each rocker slot and a matching mark on the shoulder of each poly lock. this leads me to believe that the pushrods were too long and causing it to bind up. im guessing the lifters werent all the way pumped up when i was adjusting and it masked the problem. on a good note my machinist/friend is covering the cost of the new studs, shorter push rods and intake gaskets. im hoping its this simple as it seems to make sense. if it was piston to valve clearance i would have thought you could here the valves smacking the pistons.

I'd also check your springs. Make sure they can handle the lift and not bind.

heads were setup by chad speier of speier racing heads specifically for this cam

Do yall think i can still use the rockers? No rollers are damaged and everything moves freely. The little bit of maring can be fixed with a deburing tool

Did you measure originally for pushrod length? I would also see what the rockets look like on lift. Check the clearance all the way around make sure nothing is touching. Did it make a noise at first start or only after a minute. What was your valve adjustment? Somethings not right. I would be looking at the ones that aren't broke and see if something is binding up. Wish you luck.

Any updates??? I hate cliffhangers :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor