Mechanical fan upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best cfm mechanical fan you can get is GM 405442 although it is a 19"

Really? After looking up this part online, it's hard to believe that fan will pull more CFM's than the 7-blade. I would think that since the 7-blade has more surface area that it would pull more air? Somebody has to explain this to me. 🙂

Really? After looking up this part online, it's hard to believe that fan will pull more CFM's than the 7-blade. I would think that since the 7-blade has more surface area that it would pull more air? Somebody has to explain this to me. 🙂

the 7 blade fans do not have the same pitch and do not bite into clean air like the 4 blade does. If a 7 blade is run fast enough it will actually build a wall of air between it and the rad. The is a new fan for race engines that is a 2 blade and race engines run at rpm's that street cars rarely see.

this is the one i just installed HAYDEN 3618 also heavy duty clutch as well HAYDEN Premium Clutch 274
s-l1600.jpg
s-l500.jpg

I was always under the impression that the 7-blade fan is the cat's meow..and used in performance cars. You learn something new everyday. 😕

I pretty much have the same setup as Wonderboy has shown above.^

How about Allstar Performance part # 30101 for $40 at Jegs, it looks like a copy of the GM 4 blade 405442.

049-all30101.jpg

the 7 blade fans do not have the same pitch and do not bite into clean air like the 4 blade does. If a 7 blade is run fast enough it will actually build a wall of air between it and the rad. The is a new fan for race engines that is a 2 blade and race engines run at rpm's that street cars rarely see.
Interesting points Pontiacgp! Thank you. It would still be nice to see CFM numbers at specific RPM's..

I was always under the impression that the 7-blade fan is the cat's meow..and used in performance cars. You learn something new everyday. 😕

I pretty much have the same setup as Wonderboy has shown above.^

I was also under the same impression! I was also thinking that it was a good setup for older weekend cruiser cars that ran hotter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor