Mechanical fan upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
The all star performance and GM fan mention above, look like the install with one of those spacers..

It looks like the Allstar 30184 1.5" spacer would be required to install the Allstar 30101 fan in a gbody, correct?

I have read that some complained about the Allstar copy of the GM fan saying it did not cool as good as the GM fan but for street use it should do the job just fine...IMO

I have read that some complained about the Allstar copy of the GM fan saying it did not cool as good as the GM fan but for street use it should do the job just fine...IMO

That's interesting because the really don't appear to be different in fact they look like the same design.. Maybe the pitch of the blades is different.

I work for Allstar, they are not the same.
Id like to tell you the Allstar one is better but it isnt (not that its bad)

The major thing the GM one has going for it is the end of the blades have a sort of "kink" to them. It keeps the air from being slung off the end of the blade, instead pulling it through in the direction it needs to go.

Space any fan/shroud combo so that when viewed from above the blade is half in the shroud/ half out of the shroud.

I know this is way over analyzing it but its good info for someone with cooling issues.

• Agree
Reactions: Qdub24 and Rktpwrd
MC96,

Interesting information from an insider with regards to the fan design. I'm thinking that GM must have a pattent on the fan tip design that you mentioned. If they didn't have a pattent on the design, the Allstar fan would also have he same fan tips..

Great info with regards to the fan placement depth into the shroud. The spacers that I'm seeing online are around 15 dollars..

I will fill you guys in with the cooling performance improvement once I do the upgrade in a few days.

Thanks.

Reactions: pontiacgp
I dont know if they have a patent on it, I think the fan suppliers just can figure out how to copy it reliably.

They were out a few months ago due to a production issue in Mexico. When I looked today we had plenty so Im thinking they're back up and running again.

An old timer told me the trick was to go to the parts counter at a dealership and ask for a fan for a 197X truck with a BBC and it was that fan, It came on a lot of things though. Its actually in the GM performance catalog if you look.

I located and purchased a 405442 cooling fan but when I got around to installing it tonight, I ran into a snag.. After ro moving the old clutch & cooling fan I realized that I needed 'fine threaded' bolts instead of the standard thread.. I will pick up the correct bolts in the morning and re-attempt the install.

Just saw this Frank, yes fine thread 5/16" bolts are needed. I ran a 7 blade set up with a heavy duty clutch out of an early 70's Delta I believe, it fit the G body fan shroud. It didn't cool as well as the Stratus electric fans. I currently have that GM 4 blade solid fan without a shroud on the 70 in front of the 260 in the 70 S. I will use it in the 70 in front of the 260 in the G body without a shroud, since I threw out the shroud due to damage.

Christian, I was actually aware in the back of my mind of the required hardware for this job since I've pulled thin engine apart many times. The issue was the fact that my teenagers had things going on today as well as the home projects that I was working on. I figured that I could slip in the last tiny project at he end of the day. After all it is just a task that requires the removal of eight bolts - ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor