Metalic paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I found some sites offering metalic colors in acrylic enamel and acrylic urethane. Any good? I thought only BC/CC was good for metalics. I would think enamel would hide the flakes. Single stage urethane has clear mixed in, right?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That paint is probably from China and the metal flakes is the lead they are trying to get rid of... :shock:

didn't GM use metallic acrylic urethane in the 70's?....I seem to remember my dad's 1970 Tempest was a metallic green

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
pontiacgp said:
That paint is probably from China and the metal flakes is the lead they are trying to get rid of... :shock:

didn't GM use metallic acrylic urethane in the 70's?....I seem to remember my dad's 1970 Tempest was a metallic green

So was Vinny's cousins'.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
I painted both my malibu and the girly's Eagle with acrylic enamel metalic. I also used clear over it so I could wet sand and buff with out distorting the metalic. The malibu looks aweful :lol: , but that wasn't the paints fault, the Eagle has a really sweet look to it, doesn't hide the flakes at all. We get numerous coments on the color and how nice the metalic looks.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well, I managed to get the color matched which was a chore at first but I know a great body shop supply place and they did a superb job. It was a dark blue with black and purple tinting. Unfortunatly is was only available in BC/CC so that's what I'll be doing. More work, but at least it will match up nicely.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
BC/CC really isn't any extra work. You shoot the base, let it flash a bit, then shoot the clear. The only extra work is cleaning the paint gun in between.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Oldsmoletic- not sure, no clue, it was on the car when I got it. Originally red, painted a purplish dark blue. Looks blue sometimes, purple other times, sometimes black . It depends how the sunlight is hitting it. Carmangary- no sanding the base coat? Even for flaws? I've heard differences of opinions on this.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Metallic and even metalflake paints existed LOOOONG before there was BC/CC paint.

mearly65

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 14, 2008
Athens,PA
Bonnewagon, the only time you should have to sand basecoat is if you get a run in it(rookie mistake), or if something lands in it before it flashes, like a bug or a hair. Usually if you wipe it with a fresh tack rag between coats you'll be fine. Then just spray your clear, wet sand and buff, and you're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor