Modern Interior for Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2006
Wichita KS
So I just picked up a ls monte with a ss conversion. Its in rough shape but i plan on fixing that and getting it up to par. The one good thing is the interior is very clean and in good shape but I dont like the blue color. So my question is will a 4th gen fbody interior work on my 85? I know they work in the 3rd gen fbodies but wasnt sure about the gbodies, anybody know?

Pics of the car
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/ed ... 001130.jpg
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/ed ... 001133.jpg
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/ed ... 001134.jpg

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
No. Nothing is the same. The front seats will possibly be adaptable, but they're not that good in my opinion. The dash is HUGE in a 4th gen and it has airbags, the floor is a completely different shape, the doors are also way different even to the point of being plastic instead of metal, the F car is a hatchback, the G body a Notchback, G bodies are full frame and F bodies are unibody so they share virtually no chassis parts save the rear LCA's, etc. In short, No.

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
If you want a modern interior in a 80s monte, sell that monte and buy one with a thrashed interior. That is so freaking clean it be a shame to touch it.

Verz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2006
Wichita KS
I guess I should have been more specific, when I meant interior all i was going to change was the dash, center console and front buckets. I know the dash is way to deep and would involve cutting like the 3rd gen fbody guys do but was wanting to know if the width(apillar to apillar) would be close enough to use it.

Reason for me changing is I really dont like the blue interior, yes it is in great shape other than a sagging headliner and a single crack in the dash. The door panels, carpet, headliner and rear seat will all be replaced or recovered in black. It may not be to some peoples tastes but i think old school exterior with new school comfort is the perfect combo.

Here is a couple pics of a 88 Iroc with a 4thgenn camaro interior.
IROCLS1115.jpg

IROCLS1117.jpg

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
You have to realize that the 3rd and 4th gen Camaros share a common unibody from the firewall back, specifically the floorpan, frame rails and rear suspension. The major difference between 3rd and 4th gen cars is the front suspension and body panels. The carpet, console, seats, etc all interchange. The 3rd gen cars also had huge dashboards like the 4th gen cars, so interchanging them is not as much of a hassle. The extra wide C pillar is also shared between the generations of Camaro/Firebird, so it may well be that they will interchange with minimal modifications. If you put the dash from a 4th gen Camaro or Firebird in a G body, your knees would have to have holes cut in the dash for them because it is so much wider than stock. Plus, the Camaro and Firebird are wider cars by around 8 to 10 inches as compared to a G body. If you want a Camaro, go buy one and get the interior you want. If you want a G body, stay within the boundaries of a stock appearing interior with maybe an upgrade in terms of seats, a console and a steering wheel. It will work much better and not look hacked when you are done. Plus, later GM cars used lower quality interior materials that tend to squeak and creak much more than a G body in good condition. I plan to put a set of Recaro seats and a console in my G body when I find pieces that will look right for the car. (I also plan on a 6 speed manual swap at that time to complete my ultimate G body idea, but that's another story.)To me, that Camaro in the pictures looked hacked and unfinished. It just didn't belong with that dash, and the chrome steering wheel was out of place.Oh, and GM killed it's RWD intermediates at the end of 1987, when they discontinued production in December of 87 and badged them as 88 models. The replacement cars were FWD and share virtually no parts in common with their G body predecessors.

I also agree that if you want to extensively modify a G body, buy one in run down but solid condition to mess with. Ones in good shape are getting hard to find and increasing in value, it would be a shame to ruin one if your ideas go wrong. A cheap, solid MC can usually be found for around $500 on sites like Craigslist and would make a much better starting point for this sort of idea.

Verz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2006
Wichita KS
Geez all you had to say is no the camaro dash is going to be too wide and will need a lot of cutting to fit, it may just be me but I sense a little hostility.

This one though i wouldnt say its run down but its not in the best shape, other than the interior, im still changing interior colors and probably go with corbeau or recaro seats. Im going to need a center console for when i do my motor/trans swap, are there any suggestions for one that will look good maybe a little more updated?

UnclesCamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2007
Northern Cambria, PA
You can swap dashes out of any gbody into your monte. Maybe one of those would be something you like and would be alot easier than trying to make an fbody fit. Alot of guys like the Grand Prix dash because it is easy to swap in lots of aftermarket gauges. The Digital Turbo regal dash it pretty nice too. Maybe that might be an option for you. I am pretty sure the seats out of newer fbody's fit if you use a gbody set of seat tracks. and I know a few people have retrofit newer Monte Carlo center consoles in to g bodys.

Rob

rayvinton

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2007
here is what i did with my dash of course it is not finished but i still have to by a speedo and then my temp and volt gauge is going to go into where the radio was and then the radio is going to go in the front section of the center counsol

Verz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2006
Wichita KS
UnclesCamino said:
You can swap dashes out of any gbody into your monte. Maybe one of those would be something you like and would be alot easier than trying to make an fbody fit. Alot of guys like the Grand Prix dash because it is easy to swap in lots of aftermarket gauges. The Digital Turbo regal dash it pretty nice too. Maybe that might be an option for you. I am pretty sure the seats out of newer fbody's fit if you use a gbody set of seat tracks. and I know a few people have retrofit newer Monte Carlo center consoles in to g bodys.

Rob

Thanks ill def look into that, the digital regal dash sounds like it might be something id like. Ill have to look at the newer monte console, if its similar to the newer(97-03) grand prix consoles ill go with that as i have a good idea where to find one locally.

Oh and ravinton your link wont work since your myspace account is set to private.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor