Modern Interior for Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
For the seats, I would look for a set of 80's looking Recaros as they will fit the overall feel of the car better. Some E30 BMW 325 IS' had them as did the MkIII VW Golf GTI/Jetta GLI and VW Corrado. 3rd gen Camaros and Firebirds, also had them,but they tend to be very rare. They came standard in the 1982 Z-28 Pace Cars, but again are hard to find, and not as good as the ones used in German cars in the late 80's/early 90's. As for a console, the Monte SS has the best console of the G bodies that I know of, but is still rather lame as it lacks cup holders. For the dash, Dakota Digital offers digital gauges for your dash, and there are some other companies offering a better gauges than stock for that dash. I personally don't like the ergonomics of the G body. The seats do not offer enough support for my taste, and the shoulder belt cuts into my neck. The radio and HVAC controls are difficult to reach, and much of the car seems to have been designed with having certain features in mind and no regard to making them easy to use. I want an adjustable height shoulder harness like is standard in most Japanese cars starting in the early 90's, and am thinking of how to adapt one from a B13 or B14 ( 1991-94/95-99) Nissan Sentra as it seems like it would be easier to adapt because of how the shoulder harness loop bolts to it. It will be a cut and weld proposition, and I will have to get a set of junk quarter window trims to cut and mock it up first before I finish it, but it will be worth it if I enjoy the car more. For the radio, I have a CD player with a remote and that makes it more accessible. I also have the factory rally pack gauges that I added because the standard gauges are worthless. Another good option is the rearview mirror off a 90's B or D body with the map lights in the bottom and the compass in the corner. Other models of GM cars and some Mustangs used a similar mirror, but only have the lights in the bottom. I also have the factory door speaker setup from a Regal with the "Concert Sound II" option, and will use parts of it with more modern component speakers to complete the 1,000 watt stereo I have planned. As you can see, I do not think the GM design of the interior is without flaw, I just don't think you should try a difficult total rethink of the interior and completely remove the character of the car. As you can see, my car is/will be modified, but I kept the original character of the car in mind when making my changes.Your car already has a 80's vibe to it with the wheels you have on it ( Trans Am GTA), build on that and you can have a car with a cohesive theme. ( My Cutlass is built with a mostly 80's theme and I tend to try to stay with it as it is cheaper to do and will not go out of style too quickly as would components that do not fit the car's era.)Plus, many who try this sort of thing end up ruining an otherwise good car. You could prototype it on a cheap G body and then transfer it to yours if it works without risk to a somewhat rare model. BTW, I am a nice guy if you get to know me, but I do come off as a bit abrasive at times because I am strongly opinionated and very knowledgeable in many automotive fields and with many different models both import and domestic.

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
You may be opinionated, but the issue is that you go on and on about things nobody asked about. Trim it back a bit, use paragraphs and focus on the topic.

It's great if you know something, but it all gets ignored when it appears that you're trying to prove it by rambling.

Just friendly advice. :)

Verz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2006
Wichita KS
87MonteSS said:
You may be opinionated, but the issue is that you go on and on about things nobody asked about. Trim it back a bit, use paragraphs and focus on the topic.

It's great if you know something, but it all gets ignored when it appears that you're trying to prove it by rambling.

Just friendly advice. :)

Exactly but I do appreciate the advice.

Decided that after seeing a custom console made in a malibu thats what im going to do and use corbeau seats.

The seats
http://www.motorsportseats.com/corbeau/sport.html
The console
doorspeaker1.jpg

rayvinton

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2007
which one did you decide to go with? If you could put the link on here so i could see it maybe get some ideas.

Verz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2006
Wichita KS
The link is right above the picture of the console. Its the Corbeau Sports series and going to go with black cloth, $312 for a set of 2 isnt to bad.

Verz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2006
Wichita KS
Honestly ill go with any gbody dash aslong as its black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor