Monte SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Doesn't look like an 88 to me. I have an 85 SS, those tail lights are pre 87, and the mirrors look like the 'bullet' style not the sport style. Both look like what I have on my 85, so I would say 85 or earlier?

Reactions: 2 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I saw wiring for the third brake light but I didn't see the defrost grid dedicated to it hard to tell though that's why I said 85 I added a third brake light to my 83 so the wiring is not that hard to do

I can see defrost lines and it appears they go around where a 3rd brake light would be. So many things altered though, who knows.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Still no response from seller, I am guessing he must know there are discrepancies with his car.
Here is the actual post

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
What's the deal with listing the price as $1234?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
What's the deal with listing the price as $1234?
I see that when someone doesn't want to put an actual price but you have to put something there. a lot of times it is just 1 number repeated like 1111

DB87442

Apprentice
Nov 27, 2021
Cartersville, GA
Looks like factory wiring poking up for a 3rd brake light through the package tray. Factory t-tops, could be 85-88, doors often swapped due to rust. Will guess 86’ due to the brake light and rear bumper/tails (would be odd for a 87-88 to be converted to the earlier style) but yea, who knows with so many variables and almost nothing looks original on this one.
I agree, looks like an 86 to me. The last 3 lines of the defroster angle down where the third brake light would have been.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Tail lights and the stubby, upright tail on the spoiler say no younger than 85. It is possible to fit the later 86-88 tail lights on an older model simply because 82-88 are all the same in terms of the basic cabin and rear fenders. The doors also seem to be fitted with the oval bodied mirrors as opposed to the more angular or "rocket" shaped ones like what came with my own 85. Possible this is an LS in a party dress??

Bear in mind that 87 was the last official year that the rear wheel drive Monte was offered by the factory and that anything described as an 88 is a leftover that was depicted by the dealers as an 88 based on the actual year, not that it was new production for that year. Agree thoroughly that the VIN would settle the matter conclusively but it does not seem like the owner is going to be forthcoming with it.

As has already been pointed out, you can readily mix and match parts from various years within a specific footprint and get a complete car that is not a numbers matching ride but that does eminently end itself towards "Hot Rodding".

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
I say it's a 85-86 and half early run, 86 and a half later run and luxury sport had the rounded tail skin and lights and euro/triangle side mirrors and the dash insert and radio bezel are not the updated style

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor