Most Common G-Body Problems

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Rear “clip” in wheel cylinders. Why on earth did they do that - when a standardized backing plate with bolt in cylinder had been on the shelf - for what ? Fifteen years?? Guess the bolt in style can be swapped over

The almighty dollar my friend. They could save a couple of cents per car by going with a lighter/simpler/cheaper method thereby increasing profits. Department inter communication at GM was still in its infancy and part sharing was still taboo.

Get used to it, you’re gonna find things like that quite a bit on our cars.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Québec City, Québec CANADA
oh yeah. I lost rear brakes in heavy traffic thanks to that clip. Was not comfortable.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If you ever pull your body to do a frame off resto, frame paint, cage install or whatever, then hold onto your hat for some of the worst splattered welds you'll ever see. Whatever you do, don't run your bare hand over the frame quickly in factory welded areas unless you appreciate the sight of your own blood.

And yes, to save the almighty dollar as described by Donovan.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

4oldsmobiles64

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2020
Lets face it. No older car was ever meant to be restored, let alone taken apart to be restored. They were used, parked when it was the end and then junked.
I've read this thread and its all of the above. I've owned 79 Hurst Olds - 1 Clone of it - 88 Cutlass Supreme Classic - 86 442 and now a 80 442.
In the south they don't rot out unless it was a T-Top car and those sucked anyway and leaked and then the floor rotted.
I think it is all of everything. Thank goodness a Cutlass, Regal, Monte Carlo has many pieces that interchange unless someone's doing a OEM

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor