(Mostly) Successful maiden voyage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Maiden Voyage, Take 2!

Made up my little spacer, spent probably a few hours filing and fitting to get it just right, and when it finally fit in place and I bolted everything in, it worked like a charm. Absolutely perfect.

Took it out for a second maiden voyage, this time I decided to venture a little further beyond my neighborhood and went to go get some gas.

Everything seemed to be going alright, car felt a little sluggish, but I figure that was because I was test driving without vacuum advance to make sure it didn't detonate with the mechanical advance I gave it. It didn't.

Got to the gas station, turned it off, so far so good. Filled up the gas tank, got back in, and the battery was dead. So was my phone.

Clearly, I did not think this through.

Went inside to the gas station, and the attendant was kind enough to let me use their phone so I made my one phone call to call home and try to get my brother to come out with the jump pack. He was out at the moment so I had to wait for about an hour, sitting in the car charging my phone with my new phone charger. Finally he showed up just as the gas station attendant got my car jumped with his once he had time to come out and help.

So instead of jumping my car, my brother followed me home. Being that it was dark out by now, I had my headlights on. I couldn't help but notice that my blinkers weren't working, and my headlights were kind of dim. By the time we got back home (about 5 miles or so) I had no headlights at all, and I couldn't even see my gauges. Had my brother not been tailing me, I wouldn't have been able to see anything.

Other minor issues I noticed on this trip:
The speedometer gets kinda wonky around 40mph, and starts making a creeking noise. Everything with this speedometer is brand new, including the cable. It also likes to bounce around a lot.
Battery volt and amp gauges don't work at all. (Could be due to charging system problem)
Blinkers are extraordinarily slow when the headlights are on... again, could be due to charging system.
Engine did get a little on the hot side by the time I got home - around 230-240 but it wasn't anything super serious this time. Could have been caused by retarded timing at higher RPM due to lack of vacuum advance. (Once I realized the battery wasn't charging I started hauling *ss to get home as quickly as possible!)

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The speedometer gets kinda wonky around 40mph, and starts making a creeking noise. Everything with this speedometer is brand new, including the cable. It also likes to bounce around a lot.
This one I have an idea what might be needed. Did you grease the inners of the new cable? It sounds like it might be dry. There was a tool with a grease fitting out years back that screwed on to the transmission end so it could get lubed. Haven't seen/found one in a long time.

Reactions: 1 users

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
This one I have an idea what might be needed. Did you grease the inners of the new cable? It sounds like it might be dry. There was a tool with a grease fitting out years back that screwed on to the transmission end so it could get lubed. Haven't seen/found one in a long time.
You know, I'm gonna flat out tell ya something embarrassing right now: I didn't even know it needed grease.

I'll do that, thanks!

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Yeah, I think it might have been the timing since I didn't put the vacuum advance on, thus making the timing retarded under acceleration which in turn, would cause the engine to run a little hot. Because at idle it's pretty stable around 190-200 on a hot day in a garage with limited airflow.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor