Muffler compatibility question

Status
Not open for further replies.

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
I think I may have found the difference between the HO muffler and the Camaro muffler. The inlet and outlet that are on the same side of the muffler are spread further apart on the Camaro muffler.

So the question becomes will this cause fitment issues in a Gbody or not?
Yes it will cause fitment issues. I cobled together an exhaust using a camaro muffler for the same reason, wanted to keep the single in but have the look of dual out. It works but it certainly doesn't fit the best and the camaro muffler doesn't have the hangers on it like the G body one and that was more of a pain then I expected.

Reactions: 1 user

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Yes it will cause fitment issues. I cobled together an exhaust using a camaro muffler for the same reason, wanted to keep the single in but have the look of dual out. It works but it certainly doesn't fit the best and the camaro muffler doesn't have the hangers on it like the G body one and that was more of a pain then I expected.

Thank you sir. That's what I needed to know.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I don't want to sound like a scrooge but unless you have plans on a bigger engine later don't waste your money a stock exhaust is more than ample. The 260 was a great little engine but a poor candidate for HP upgrades.

Since when did GM ever install the best performing exhaust on any of these cars from the factory? The stock exhaust is not ample even for the 260, just like the stock 442 exhaust is not ample for the ho 307.

With all due respect, but I have a pet peeve when people say because you have a weak performing engine you shouldn't do ANYTHING to coax a little more out it. It is the opposite. You should try to squeeze every last drop you can out it. We're not talking cam/head swaps here, we're talking simple tuning and some bolt ons ( that could carry over to a better engine down the road if need be ).

P.S. I need a new exhaust system for my car so I gotta get something...

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
For my 86' Regal I originally looked at the factory GN exhaust but that uses the muffler behind the rear end with the shorter tailpipes coming out of the single muffler, I personally don't like the muffler there so since I have a 307 right now I decided to go with a stock replacement 442 full cat back set up from Walker.
The 442 exhaust is also 2-1/4" compared to a Monte SS at 2".
I saved a lot of money by getting the individual components from different vendors that had the best price and it fit without issues.

442 exhaust was original plan but I couldn't find the intermediate pipe so I scrapped that idea. Then thought about GN exhaust but intermediate pipe unavailable for that setup too....

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I don't need dual 2.5" exhaust for my application.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Since when did GM ever install the best performing exhaust on any of these cars from the factory? The stock exhaust is not ample even for the 260, just like the stock 442 exhaust is not ample for the ho 307.

With all due respect, but I have a pet peeve when people say because you have a weak performing engine you shouldn't do ANYTHING to coax a little more out it. It is the opposite. You should try to squeeze every last drop you can out it. We're not talking cam/head swaps here, we're talking simple tuning and some bolt ons ( that could carry over to a better engine down the road if need be ).

P.S. I need a new exhaust system for my car so I gotta get something...

As I said I didn't want to sound like a scrooge and I obviously pushed some buttons. I did not say you have a poor performing engine, I did say it was great little engine, I had a 78. Buy all means you may pick up some HP tuning and would suggest wideband tuning to get the max. If you look into the size exhaust vs Hp 1 3/4 is all you need. On the other hand you can go too big slowing velocity and scavenging and hurt Hp.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
442 exhaust was original plan but I couldn't find the intermediate pipe so I scrapped that idea.
It does look like the Y pipe for the 442 has been discontinued the only place I found it (Walker 44294) is on Amazon at more than double the price of what I paid for mine.
Another affordable option would be going with a Walker Monte SS system but you would have to modify where it mounts to the converter and you would also have to either modify the tailpipes to exit behind the rear tire or source different ones but Summit has all of the parts in stock or shop around for best price.
For the intermediate and both tailpipes $165 and about another $30-35 for each muffler

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
As I said I didn't want to sound like a scrooge and I obviously pushed some buttons. I did not say you have a poor performing engine, I did say it was great little engine, I had a 78. Buy all means you may pick up some HP tuning and would suggest wideband tuning to get the max. If you look into the size exhaust vs Hp 1 3/4 is all you need. On the other hand you can go too big slowing velocity and scavenging and hurt Hp.

Well I DO have a poor performing engine! All 260's are poor performing engines! 110 hp and 205 ft/lbs of torque from a V8 is a joke.

The thing is, and this isn't directed at you specifically, it gets aggravating to hear people say/imply that if an car doesn't have a good performance engine then one can't/shouldn't try to get more out of it.

When I got my 85 442, it was bone stock. Everybody said it was a mid 16 second slug and that nothing could change that. I've heard 'performance mods are a waste of time and money', 'why bother it'll still be slow even with mods' and 'nothing can be done'. I've even heard somebody mentioning that something as cheap and easy as swapping the secondary rods aren't worth it 'even if it lowered et's by .1-.2' because it the car would still be slow. Absolutely stupid logic right there.

So I added nothing but a better exhaust and ran 15.54@88mph. Is this fast? No, but it's almost a FULL SECOND faster in the 1/4 mile with nothing but exhaust....and that was still with factory manifolds! Guess everybody was wrong...

So since I need a new exhaust and have no need to go full crazy since it's just a cruiser and I want to retain a stock/stockish look and fit, I feel using a factory setup using factory replacement parts seems logical, but if I'm gonna do it, I should do whatever would be the best that fit my criteria. I'll bet my car that a single 2" exhaust ( going through a pellet style converter to boot ) isn't the 'best'.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Thought about Monte SS system but didn't want to mess with hacking it all up just to make it into what I'd want/need it to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor