Muffler compatibility question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Look into some universal pipes (1 to 2, some stright & angled) to make a intermediate pipe (2.25") for the 442 set up, get a new cat & good flowing mufflers to work with the 442 tailpipes. A little brain storming will make it work. Then if the new set up flows right that 260 may show some better pep on the road.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Since its an Olds, a Walker 442 cat-back exhaust would be a great option. Purchase a Magnaflow high-flow cat along with the walker cat-back parts and bolt it on. Sounds great with an Olds engine too!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
As I said I didn't want to sound like a scrooge and I obviously pushed some buttons. I did not say you have a poor performing engine, I did say it was great little engine, I had a 78. Buy all means you may pick up some HP tuning and would suggest wideband tuning to get the max. If you look into the size exhaust vs Hp 1 3/4 is all you need. On the other hand you can go too big slowing velocity and scavenging and hurt Hp.
I had 1 5/8" shorty headers into 2.5" X pipe dual exhaust on my 260. It didn't hurt bottom end torque and helped up top over manifolds and 2" dual exhaust. More air, in and out helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor