Muncie 4 speed stuck in 4 th

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
No will not come out of 4 th last time driven , changed shifter [ as shown in non G body projects ] Same problem exist ! After doing a little research and talking with a few people general consensus seems to point to 3-4 slider and keys are the culprit! And possible the fork . One side note , linkage on 3-4 rod can be taken off and trans can be taken out of 4 th gear .

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Sounds like something is expanding when it get hot. 4th gear direct drive so not a lot of moving parts

dirtywhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2009
Mount Solon, VA
I had one stuck in 4th on a cross country trip.....Mine was STUCK in 4th.
I had to return home (a 3 hour drive) in 4th gear, swap in a Saginaw spare, and head back to Ft Devens as my leave time was expired that night.

In my case it was syncros.
I was told it was likely caused by a improperly adjusted linkage.
I had ran that setup for several years, including several 500+ mile trips so who knows.

Reactions: 1 user

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
Yeah thats my dilemma too, when its cold it will run through every gear in and out including 4 th . But if you drive it about 20 or 30 minutes in 4th it wont come out ! Old shifter was kinda sloppy , but shifting before rebuild , so just decided to go ahead and change out with another one , same thing ! I have had several of these and checked the linkage, nothing obviously wrong . And i was thinking if it was in the linkage it wouldnt shift hot or cold .

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Yeah thats my dilemma too, when its cold it will run through every gear in and out including 4 th . But if you drive it about 20 or 30 minutes in 4th it wont come out ! Old shifter was kinda sloppy , but shifting before rebuild , so just decided to go ahead and change out with another one , same thing ! I have had several of these and checked the linkage, nothing obviously wrong . And i was thinking if it was in the linkage it wouldnt shift hot or cold .

This is why I think it is in the linkage...

One side note , linkage on 3-4 rod can be taken off and trans can be taken out of 4 th gear .

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Before changing rods what about a Hurst Pit Pack? It has new bushings for the rods both steel and plastic. The rods really don't wear out, the bushings do.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor