my 1990 f150 4x4 project

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
They're probably okay but it wouldn't hurt to get them checked. Just be warned that EVERY time you take heads in to get "checked" you will ALWAYS be advised that they need a total rebuild :wink: ...and they very well might need to be. Also be warned that putting fresh heads on a tired bottom end can cause the rings to fail which will result in oil consumption and smoking. Not always -- but sometimes.
If it were mine, and I didn't plan to keep it forever, I'd probably just clean both surfaces (block and heads) really well, check them for warpage, visually inspect for obvious signs of burnt valves or cracks, and put it back together. It'll probably be just fine and will run as well as it did before. Maybe even better.
As far as doing the job goes, it's not that bad. Follow the procedure in the manual and you'll be fine. If you've never done this job before but have the necessary tools it can probably done over the weekend. Assuming that you are in a driveway with basic hand tools I would estimate 5 hours for tear down, 3 hours for cleanup, 6 hours for assembly. If you have help those numbers could either go up or down. A flat-rate mechanic can probably do it all in about 8 hours.

Crapple21

Greasemonkey
Apr 16, 2011
Washington
what should i use to clean the heads and block? and should i replace the head bolts i have heard different things from different people some people say ya and some people say no they should be fine. and ya i have the basic tools nothing to crazy and ya its outside im hoping for some nice weather and oh the shop also said i have a cracked frame at the steering box and i did some research on it and its a fairly common problem on the f150s i just have to have my buddy who knows how to weld box in the frame there to fix it and the shop i took it too said it was going to be 12 hours to do the heads and like 1200 bucks and i felt as thats a rip off and its a good learning experience for me tto change the head gaskets.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
You can use a gasket scraper, putty knife, or razor blades to clean the old gasket material off. Make sure you get it all off. The head bolts can be reused because they aren't a torque-to-yield type. Clean the bolt threads and use a tap or thread chaser to clean the bolt holes in the block. You're right, it will be an excellent learning experience to do this job yourself. Between gaskets, coolant, oil, filter, sealants, etc., you should be able to keep the cost under $200 by doing it yourself. Much like the SBC, the engine in your truck is pretty simple and forgiving. As long as you follow the directions and get everything plugged back in you should have no problems. Just take your time and get all the mating surfaces clean.

lesbaldridge

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2012
just a thought, and im by no means a mechanic or very experiences with fords. but, i know older chevy trucks are notorious for developing cracks in the frame around the steering box and in the rear, and most truck and 4x4 places offer a piece specifically made to patch and strengthen that area. you just weld it in and there pretty cheap usually. i dont know if one is available for your ford or if its cheap enough to make it worth your time to buy one rather than just welding some miscellaneous metal in there, but it might be worth checking into. im sure a quick internet search would tell you.

Crapple21

Greasemonkey
Apr 16, 2011
Washington
Well I think I found the problem lol one of my head bolts was completely broke off at the end so this is going to be a two weekend project my dad has a tool to get the end of the bolt out of the block. I feel like nothing ever goes smoothly lol oh well though. But on a more positive note taking apart the engine wasn't as difficult as I expected and on another positive note it gives me time this week to paint and clean the parts extra good

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor