My 78’ Pontiac GP/SJ 454 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'd just put a spacer above/under the spring and forget about it. That is, if you're positive the body bushings are okay and you don't have a good friend with a frame rack who's patient and owes you a big favor.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

78BB-Pontiac

Apprentice
May 6, 2019
St.Paul, Minnesota
I'd just put a spacer above/under the spring and forget about it. That is, if you're positive the body bushings are okay and you don't have a good friend with a frame rack who's patient and owes you a big favor.
Yep’ positive bushing are good. Yes’ I took spring out and welded two 1/4 inch round bar in top and bottom of spring. Still needed one little block on each side of spring to gain height I needed. I would like to get it fixed right though. It’s a pretty clean car and worthy of being fixed right.
Was thinking of taking bracket off frame, heating it up on my bench vise and giving it a couple good whacks with my Snap-On ball pean hammer? Then bolting it back on frame, giving it some welds?

78BB-Pontiac

Apprentice
May 6, 2019
St.Paul, Minnesota
I have used 2 different headers both from Hooker. The cheapest was the 2455 full length designed for 68-72 A-body cars like the Chevelle. Took some massaging to fit but for $100 or so I was happy. I believe I had to grind out some of the lower control arm mount and move the brake proporting valve back on the frame a few inches. The latter probably isnt NEEDED but I don't like the idea of hot brake fluid.

My current headers are the Hooker slip tube 2241 headers made specifically for BBC swaps in G-bodies. These are much more expensive but they are "tuned" and fit better. The only reason I made the switch was because I found them dirt cheap out of the blue locally. Only downside besides the price is dealing with the slip tubes leaking. Will need high temp silicone while assembling them.

Both headers, if not ALL headers will need some relief ground out on the bottom of the mounting flange when using bigger head bolts like ARP. Both headers mentioned are full length, 2" primary into 3.5" collectors.
I just got home from work and the Hooker 2455 headers I ordered were on my porch. Delivery took two day only. I can see why you didn’t go with the 2241 headers right off the bat. About $230 for 2455’s compared to $625 for 2241’s. They both come with the same crappy paint that burns off in a few days. What’s up with that..🙄

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
I just got home from work and the Hooker 2455 headers I ordered were on my porch. Delivery took two day only. I can see why you didn’t go with the 2241 headers right off the bat. About $230 for 2455’s compared to $625 for 2241’s. They both come with the same crappy paint that burns off in a few days. What’s up with that..🙄
If I'm not mistaken, the black paint on the headers is just to prevent rust during shipping. I believe you're supposed to strip it and paint the headers with high temp paint.

• Agree

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I have tried running the headers in the paint they come with and I have tried blasting them and painting them with a good high temp paint. Both yielded similiar results. My next set will either be ceramic or wrapped.

Reactions: 1 user

78BB-Pontiac

Apprentice
May 6, 2019
St.Paul, Minnesota
I have tried running the headers in the paint they come with and I have tried blasting them and painting them with a good high temp paint. Both yielded similiar results. My next set will either be ceramic or wrapped.
I guess it’s another case of nothing lasts forever. I have had good results with the POR15 products I have used. (rust preventive coating) As long as it’s on blasted clean metal! I’ll Try their header paint and see how it does?

78BB-Pontiac

Apprentice
May 6, 2019
St.Paul, Minnesota
Ok’ I have a question for all you fine G body owners. Do any of you know where I can get one of these strikers for my drivers door? From what I can tell the door strikes it and it turns on a spring. It connects to the drivers seatbelt retractor behind the bottom interior panel under the back drivers side 1/4 window.

Attachments

• F8B8BB90-96F4-4D01-A9F1-89FF7B7775A7.jpeg
    F8B8BB90-96F4-4D01-A9F1-89FF7B7775A7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 184
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor