my battery wont charge !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephwaldrop

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 19, 2008
i just bought a 85 cutlass .. it has a 350 in it i replaced the battery and the alternator and it wont keep a charge for more then 20 mins ... ? what else could i check ?

everything looks good .. nice and tight new battery , the motor was swapped right before i bought it .. is there anything that could of been looked over or anything like that ?

When you have it running, hook up a meter to the battery and rev it up. See what the voltage output is and go from there. It could quite possibly be a bad alternator, have seen it before. Check all your fuses and wiring.

this one is good and the last one was good ... 100% sure of it .. im not real big in to fixing my own cars but i do what i can ... and this is very aggravating lol whats next step to check ?

o.k. do you have a test light ???????? the large red wire bolted to the back of the alternator as well as the small red wire in the two wire plug should both have power. when you turn on the ignition the brown or green wire depending on the year etc. should have power this is you're L wire or light wire if this wire does not have power then the alt will not excite possible causes for this wire to not have power are burnt alt light bulb bad ignition switch and or blown fuse as for which fuse to check use a test light and check them all how ever the fuse for the red wires on the alt are actualy fuse able links near the starter hope this helps good luck

ok i just ran out and i cut the wires off of the clip conncetor to the alt... put my own connectors on it and reconnected it to the alt .. the motor was started the whole time when i connected it the motor dropped in rpm's .. so it think prob solved ? .. but my battery light never comes on unless i ad a ground to the wire running from the clip connector ... idk if all this means nothing ... lol im just messing around with it . if this helps you with any ideas at all plz let me know thanks !

how many volts is the Alternator putting out? It's pretty simple really; if it turns out that you are not getting 13.5-14v to the battery then it's your alternator or the wiring. If you are getting 13.5-14v and your connections are good then your battery is NFG.

Remember, just because a battery holds 12+ volts does not make it a good battery as they will fail under load ( coil, radio, lights ).

If you do not own the tools to load test your alternator or battery then bring them back to Cdn Tire, NAPA, Pep Boys and they will test it for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor