My daily driver project 81 ElCamino

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Bought me a new ACC carpet set in black. I'll replace the lower door panel strips with black also. My old carpet is nasty and stinks. Also bought the headlight switch bracket in steel from Mikes Montes. I had two original headlight switch brackets in my attic and both are broken. Next payday I'll get a Coverlay dash cover and a couple cans of Burgundy SEM paint. Should be way better after some elbow grease

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I've been feverishly looking on ebay for a tach with clock for about a week. Finally ended up buying a complete cluster with the tach/clock combo. I'm pretty excited but cold outside temps keep me inside the house. Lol

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I have decided to build a mild street truck out of this El Camino. There used to be a pretty big group of us that were always at our local drag strip for the midnights. I emailed the track owner to find out when the opening midnights are. When I hear back, I'll text and call everyone. Got one cousin with a GN and another with a V8 S-10. Got a friend in Texas that will bring his 67 Camaro. There is a group of older guys I used to watch street race in front of my house when I was a kid. I'll round them up too. Should be fun and get everyone wrenching on their cars. Probably a couple months away so I better get this spare 350 to the machine shop. Lol

Reactions: 1 user

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I bought a very nice Monte SS steering wheel with all horn parts for $75. It still has grain on the top. I have had several in the past but worn smooth up there. Could not stand it so removed the ugly dirt track looking Grant and bolted on the SS wheel. Big difference. While it was off, I took apart my column. My turn signal switch was not clicking in place for my left turn. Had to hold it down at stop lights. It was loose and gritty dirty. I cleaned it up and tightened it. That's an annoyance out of the way.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Are you lucky enough that the 'spare' 350 is a one-piece rear main seal with the roller lifter provisions? If not, consider the cost of a CNC'd +.030 block and aftermarket crank from Summit vs. what the machine shop charges. I think the Summit block may already be clearanced for a stroker crankshaft. This offers more options for you in the future. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-150100-30/overview/ and http://www.summitracing.com/parts/esp-b13504l03068/overview/

I have not personally bought either of these, but I exchanged blocks with my machine shop for a $100 core charge the last time I built an engine. And I put on a 2-piece timing cover to simplify changing cams later.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Are you lucky enough that the 'spare' 350 is a one-piece rear main seal with the roller lifter provisions? If not, consider the cost of a CNC'd +.030 block and aftermarket crank from Summit vs. what the machine shop charges. I think the Summit block may already be clearanced for a stroker crankshaft. This offers more options for you in the future. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-150100-30/overview/ and http://www.summitracing.com/parts/esp-b13504l03068/overview/

I have not personally bought either of these, but I exchanged blocks with my machine shop for a $100 core charge the last time I built an engine. And I put on a 2-piece timing cover to simplify changing cams later.
Its just a two piece seal crank. Its a Goodwrench 350 with under 20,000 miles. Previous owner used a two piece air cleaner stud. The two separated and the nut went in the cylinder. It put a very small crack in the wall. Going to get it sleeved and rering and bearing it. On a budget. I want to fix this engine so I can save time swapping before going back to work on Monday morning. Probably do a small cam so it at least sounds like its fast. Lol

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
So this drag race on April 9th has me really thinking. I don't want to go super crazy with a rear end gear change and a torque convertor. I want to keep it simple but run really good. This is my daily driver. I'm going to buy an RPM Air Gap and a 670 Street Avenger Holley. Also going with a dual electric fan set up from Summit. Going to shoot for 14.99 1/4 mile so not dreaming too big

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I'm waiting on a warm day (high 40-50s) that's one of my scheduled days off. I'm redoing the front and rear brakes. I got drilled and slotted rotors, EBC brake pads, reman calipers, Russell stainless brake hose set for front and rear, wheel bearings, 7/8 S-10 rear wheel cylinders, and a set of rear shoes. I'm tired of these scary brakes. The left front caliper really grabs and driving in the rain is a white knuckle event. Lol. I may try to do this at my work on the lift on a day off. My boss is really cool

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I'd be curious to hear how your brake repairs go. I'm considering something similar on my Malibu, but with the front calipers that have the larger pistons.

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
I'd be curious to hear how your brake repairs go. I'm considering something similar on my Malibu, but with the front calipers that have the larger pistons.
Dont want to steal the thread but i did my front rotors with the gm big bore single piston caliper and they work alot better then the stock ones did on my monte.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor