Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Looking good Robert!

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
It was 70 degrees today and I fixed little tidbits on my ElCamino all day. I removed the RH inner fender to access the two heat/ac box plastic vacuum lines. They were broke off and out of sight. Got that all repaired and now my dash vents work. I jetted up my secondaries, installed a phenolic spacer, carb studs, dash speakers, welded in a steel tube to the bottom of my 14" air cleaner base to connect to the charcoal canister. The car had a bad fuel odor around it before with it just open. Replaced my high pressure power steering hose so my driveway will get a break. I also adjusted my vacuum modulator on my turbo 350 trans. It was shifting into gears way too fast. Put on a K&N air filter and filter top for the air cleaner assembly. On the test drive it runs a lot better. My boss agreed to let me use the lift Monday so I'm gonna hit it hard. Going to put in new axle seals, wheel cylinders, brake shoes, drilled and slotted rotors, reman calipers, front brake pads, braided stainless brake hoses, GN front sway bar with Energy Suspension urethane bushings, tail shaft seal, trans mount, and speedometer housing seal. The brakes suck with surging and occasional LF caliper locking up. This truck has had a bunch of small issues repaired since I acquired it.

Reactions: 2 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
It is amazing all the little things are let go by previous owners over the years. Glad you are getting it all straitened out though. Fixing it is most of the fun (for me anyhow).

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Had the ElCamino on the lift all day. I don't think the rear end cover has ever been removed. The gear oil was foamy and thin. The left axle seal was leaking and the right wheel cylinder was leaking. Replaced both axle seals, wheel cylinders, brake shoes, and hardware. I used 80 grit sand paper on the drums and got them scuffed really well. I moved up front and went to install the Summit drilled and slotted rotors but the A3 outer bearings were too big. The A6's fit the inners. So I ended up using my old rotors but someone has changed them before. I sanded them too, cleaned them, and put on new calipers and pads. Also installed the Taylor braided brake hoses. Had my buddy pump the brakes while I bled them. Topped off the brake fluid and noticed the master cylinder leaking at the booster. CRAP! I installed the Grand National front sway bar with Energy Suspension front mounts and end links. I then bolted on some F-41 cradle bars. On the drive home I felt a big difference in feel. I guess the sway bar and cradle bars really work. I just finished putting on a reman master cylinder in my driveway. Still need a pinion seal, power steering pump, and U-joints but the list is getting shorter. Lol

Reactions: 1 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I finally found a 400 small block for my 55 Belair. This means I can use my flat top piston 350 short block I had for the 55 in the El Camino. All machine work is done and its on the stand painted and ready for assembly. I was needing some roller rockers and tall valve covers so I'll be ordering soon. My spare turbo 350 trans is supposed to be ready next week.

Reactions: 2 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Damn, what a crappy day for me. I ended up taking the $50 bare 350 block to a machine shop for vat, cam bearings and freeze plugs. He also vatted my bare 882 heads since they were surface rusted. Picked the stuff up today and drove the hour drive back home. I put the block on my stand. I turned it upside down and pulled off the main caps which were only on a few threads. He never removed them for cleaning. They have crud in the bolt holes. I noticed the number 2 and 3 main caps have had spun bearings. One is dished out real bad and wobbles in the block. Also there is crud and grease still in the oil galleys. He obviously did not brush the passages. So I called his cell phone and left a heated message which he did not respond back to. What kind of idiot installs new cam bearings in a dirty block. Had his lazy *ss removed the caps, he would have noticed the 2 bad ones. So now there's nearly $400 in a wasted block that he said he would check over.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Damn, what a crappy day for me. I ended up taking the $50 bare 350 block to a machine shop for vat, cam bearings and freeze plugs. He also vatted my bare 882 heads since they were surface rusted. Picked the stuff up today and drove the hour drive back home. I put the block on my stand. I turned it upside down and pulled off the main caps which were only on a few threads. He never removed them for cleaning. They have crud in the bolt holes. I noticed the number 2 and 3 main caps have had spun bearings. One is dished out real bad and wobbles in the block. Also there is crud and grease still in the oil galleys. He obviously did not brush the passages. So I called his cell phone and left a heated message which he did not respond back to. What kind of idiot installs new cam bearings in a dirty block. Had his lazy *ss removed the caps, he would have noticed the 2 bad ones. So now there's nearly $400 in a wasted block that he said he would check over.
That really sucks man. Hope he at least makes it right.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Got out there this afternoon and replaced my power steering pump. It was leaking bad. Also replaced the power window motor on the drivers side. 5 minutes to roll down and 10 minutes to roll up. Lol. Took about an hour but man was it worth it.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
OK, whole new game plan. I'm going to pull the goodwrench 350 from the El Camino on a Friday and remove the heads, timing cover, oil pan, cam, lifters, and timing chain. Going to put in a Summit cam and lifter kit, install my ported 882 heads with thin head gaskets (FelPro 1094's) to get a bit more compression, self aligning full fulcrum roller rockers, Comp push rods, RPM Air Gap intake, and a 125 shot of NOS. Got to have it roadworthy by the following Tuesday to go back to work. Also going to replace front and rear seals on the engine. My starter is acting up so I bought a mini starter. I also got an ARP engine bolt kit so I don't have to put nasty bolts back in everything. Going to try to clean and paint the engine block but doubt I'll have time to paint the frame rails and clean the engine compartment. At least the engine will look nice. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor