My DIY 200r4 crossmember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moloko

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 15, 2008
Allentown, Pennsylvania
I'm switching it from a TH350 to a 200r4. The trans bolted up to the motor and flexplate no problem, of course. Hooked up to the factory shifter linkage also without an issue.

Instead of buying the expensive pre-made crossmember, I fired up my cut-off wheel and went to town.

Here is what I started with.

IMG00105-20101109-1400.jpg

This looks good...

IMG00106-20101109-1423.jpg

Yeah now I'm past the point of no return.

IMG00107-20101109-1445.jpg

And the factory pad cut down, and flipped to the other side of the cross-member. Need to pick up some flat steel to fill in the rest of the part I cut-out.

IMG00108-20101109-1605.jpg

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
you got some good looking welds there, nice job

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
Looks like its coming along. Mind my asking why you didnt just start fresh if you've got the equipment to totally fab one?

I gotta post some pics of mine I'm making. Its 1.5x1.5 box tube in a straight angled shot across the frame rails.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Kudos to you guys for having the patience to fab a crossmember. I usually buy after market and save myself the headache.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
G-Body_Vet said:
Kudos to you guys for having the patience to fab a crossmember. I usually buy after market and save myself the headache.
X2 8)

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
G-Body_Vet said:

I love doing fab work. Its so nice knowing that if something doesnt fit right I'm not cutting up a $200 crossmember to make it fit right.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
just incase people aren't completely aware

you dont have to drop 300 on a custom crossmember, you can get them from iceman for about half the price. they are tube steel and fit like a glove and he is an excellent welder. he was very easy to deal with and real quick, he often has a couple pre built for most applications

just wanted to post this in case people thinking about needing one, there are other options than gforce

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
Peter said:

you dont have to drop 300 on a custom crossmember, you can get them from iceman for about half the price. they are tube steel and fit like a glove and he is an excellent welder. he was very easy to deal with and real quick, he often has a couple pre built for most applications

just wanted to post this in case people thinking about needing one, there are other options than gforce

I thought icemans was $225 or around there.

The $150 ballpark is a good price. If you have a jig its probably about $20 in steel and 30mins of welding if the r&d is done and the pieces are ready to go for the style crossmember I'm building.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
stomis said:
Peter said:

I thought icemans was $225 or around there.

The $150 ballpark is a good price. If you have a jig its probably about $20 in steel and 30mins of welding if the r&d is done and the pieces are ready to go for the style crossmember I'm building.

honestly i don't remember the exact price i just remember it was significantly less than gforce and i didn't feel ripped off or anything,it's a good product

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Iceman Racing is also Pitqueen on E-Bay......... Here's the link for the crossmember and they are $149.00 I wish I would heard about him B4 I bought my G-Force.......But then again I scored my G-Force for $200.00 a while ago on E-Bay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/G-Body-M ... 2c5897407c

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor