My Dodge Truck Project (Cummins Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Why not real gator?
Good question, but, I think joesregalproject appreciates a bargain and the simulated is both more budget conscious and lower maintenance.

Besides, if he gets that 'gold' finish it'll compliment the pee bottles in the door panel till he throws em.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Good question, but, I think joesregalproject appreciates a bargain and the simulated is both more budget conscious and lower maintenance.

Besides, if he gets that 'gold' finish it'll compliment the pee bottles in the door panel till he throws em.
Might even pass for that cub cadet color also.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Gots to be black & gold cause Steeler's country in these parts.
So it sounds like consensus says his next project is faux gator skin in gold with the black lines?

He could wear black jeans and t-shirt with a jacket that matches the door panels when he drives it, just buy enough extra fabric

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I saw this truck cap (or camper shell or canopy or whatever we've decided to call them) on marketplace last week and had a hard time resisting the $100 price tag. The seller had 3 guys there to help lift it on which was awesome. It is older so it isn't perfect but the paint is nice, there's no cracks in it and all the windows open and close the way they should. The gas shocks for the rear window are like new. The tag and emblems say it's made by Continental. I've never heard of them but seems to be no different than the Leer I had for my old F-150.
View attachment 206027
View attachment 206028 View attachment 206029
After I got home I loosened the clamps and adjusted it so that it was sitting even and square. I had to adjust the rear window a bit to even up the gaps and get it to open and close nicely. The latch was stuck so I bought a new one at the parts store. I'm not a fan of the exposed exterior screws but we all know it's only there to keep honest people honest. The lock could probably could be picked faster than you could take the screws out. Anyway it latches and unlatches properly now.
View attachment 206030
It didn't have a 3rd brake light so I ordered one from fleabay. I got it wired up but I don't have one of the controller-dongle-things to prevent it from flashing with the turn signals so for now it flashes with the left turn signal. The dome light was already in it. It has it's own switch so for now I tapped it into the parking lights. Eventually I might feed constant power to it and add a prop switch so that it turns on when the rear window is opened.
View attachment 206032 View attachment 206033
I like the subtle grandpa look that the cap and running boards combination gives off.
Good price on top and it looks like it came with the truck. Dad had one on multiple square body chebbies being a Carpenter to keep his tools dry. Memories of Dad makes me them A Ok with me. I considered getting an actual camper top for my Dakota. But I realized it was a Dodge😜 and we are going to move to Fishing Lake instead. Go full Gator in that bad boy🤪.

Nov 4, 2012
I think your next upgrade has to be some sweet faux gator skin door panels like this guy did to his 12 valve....

View attachment 206166

Great suggestion. I can't argue with how tasteful and subtle it is. I particularly like how well it flows with that camo seat cover.

You guys really need to check out some of the second gen groups on Facebook and see some of the other tasteful mods people have done. I hate having a Facebook but I'm not willing to give up the quality entertainment that 2nd Gen Dodge owners regularly post to these groups.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Finally got parts in for another steering upgrade. There is a guy who makes a kit called the Rock Solid Ram steering bushing. It replaced the failure-prone, overcomplicated lower steering column bearing with a simple solid delrin bushing and a clamp to hold it in place. My column was only a bit loose but there was a noticeable popping noise if I hit a bump or jammed on the brakes too quickly.

Anyway it came in the mail earlier this week and I got it in today. Steering feels about the same but the popping is gone. They claim the bushing will outlast the truck and if it doesn't they'll send you a new one free of charge.
20220907_130043.jpg

The old bearing was definitely shot. Some of the ball bearings fell out of the race when I pulled it off.
20220907_130111.jpg

20220907_130136.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
.They claim the bushing will outlast the truck and if it doesn't they'll send you a new one free of charge.
When you consider the longevity of *most* dodge trucks, that's a pretty safe bet as for not sending many replacements.

It's too bad too, I liked the styling on all of the older ones. Still want an affordable priced 70s trailduster (or would take a ramcharger) someday, but, don't want to deal with all the rot.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor