My Ford Truck Project (And Other Projects)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
A couple days ago I ran out to the junkyard and grabbed an ABS control module, figured I'd take a chance. Cost $16 but they said I could bring it back if it didn't work. Turned out fine though because it did work. I swapped them out and no more ABS light. I gave it test run in a parking lot, slammed on the brakes at 50 and it kicked in and stopped straight. No wheel lockup, nice straight controlled stops. It's nice driving without any dash lights on too.

While I was in the dash with the ABS I decided I should change out the ashtray bulb. You know, important stuff. I guess I was a little too aggressive in removing the ashtray because it broke. Oops. I knew there weren't any ashtrays that were the correct color in the nearby junkyards so I turned to Craigslist. Found a guy parting out a Bronco with the right color interior and got an ashtray from him for just a few bucks. And now the bulb works 🙂
20200404_135057.jpg

And yes it does open the whole way without hitting the CB radio.
20200404_135043.jpg
20200404_135051.jpg

While I was getting the ashtray, I also bought this-
20200404_170748.jpg

What is that? A dash and door harnesses for a truck with power mirrors. I've got manual mirrors on my truck and they are aftermarket units. They rattle like hell and lose their position all the time. Trucks that came with power mirrors had an entirely different wiring harness that runs from one door, behind the dash to the other door. Power mirrors aren't rare, I see them in junkyards all the time, but you have to pull the dash to get the harness out and it's a real pain in the *ss. This guy already had the whole harness taken out, labelled, and neatly folded in a box. He had basically one or two entire trucks in pieces all sorted and organized in boxes. Since it was there and would save me a lot of work pulling one myself, I bought it. The seller included the switch. I'll buy new CAPA mirrors. I'm not in a rush to install them, but it'll be a nice project for a rainy day.

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users
Nov 4, 2012
Haven't done too much of anything with this truck except change the oil and drive it. It's got a 10w30/15w40 Rotella mix in it... just what I had on the shelf. Washed it for the first time since April a couple days ago.
20200612_170734.jpg

It's been really handy with all the chainsaw work I've been doing lately. The A/C is blowing ice cold too and that is something I don't take for granted.
20200512_152827.jpg
20200512_152802.jpg

I did add a tailgate lightbar. I've had it for a while and it's been sitting on a shelf waiting to get installed. I like it, the reverse function is nice especially at night, very bright.

Reactions: 6 users
Nov 4, 2012
I pulled the truck in the garage today, and checked the transmission fluid, it leaks a little so I like to keep an eye on it. It wasn't too low but it took a couple pumps.
20200624_144744.jpg

20200624_145310.jpg

Topped off the oil and checked the other fluids. Filled up the washer fluid, it's been completely empty since November... whoops. I put new wipers on it too. $6 Walmart Michelin wipers FTW.
20200624_190026.jpg

Also removed the springs from my CB antennas, tired of them whipping around at highway speed. There was an unintentional side effect in that my reception seems much better. I havent hooked up an SWR meter yet but I'll bet it's down some.
20200624_190036.jpg

It needs the door pins on the driver's side. I have the door adjusted so that it shuts okay, but there is some play in the hinges and it makes a clunk sometimes when the truck articulates on a curve or over uneven pavement. Other than that, its been running pretty well.
20200624_201252.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Is that the transmission with the 3 rubber plugs at the back of the top plate?

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Is that the transmission with the 3 rubber plugs at the back of the top plate?

Yep, the Mazda. It's a terrible transmission for a truck. Really tall first gear and a really tall reverse. If you let the clutch out the whole way in reverse you are going like 10 mph without touching the gas. It took some getting used to.
I should've gooed those plugs up with RTV when I had it out doing the clutch. I know some people replace them with freeze plugs too.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I replaced a lot of those plugs years ago. Pretty reliable transmission if the have fluid in them .

Nov 4, 2012
I replaced a lot of those plugs years ago. Pretty reliable transmission if the have fluid in them .

From what I've personally seen they are pretty reliable, I just don't like the gearing. I hear a lot of people say they aren't strong enough for a full size truck but nobody ever seems to have seen a broken one first hand. I've never towed anything bigger than a small U-Haul with this, but I know for a fact the P.O. towed a pretty large tandem axle dump trailer with it. There was still some trailer brake stuff left in it when I got it. I believe that's why it has the bigger leafs in the rear.

Nov 4, 2012
My friend had a 91 with a 5 speed. It was an oddball trans as it had a short 5th. I swear it was a Mazda trans, does this ring a bell?

5th is overdrive, I think .80:1, something like that. If it was a half ton it had the Mazda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor