My Ford Truck Project (And Other Projects)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
x2 on the fluid film. It's taken 3 applications now over 2 years or so but the safari van and work truck are well coated now. I found that after 6 months or so the rust on the floors and frame would flake off leaving a dry rust spot that would need to be re-coated. The doors and rockers I did replace on the work truck are still rust-free. They are coated in and out with the fluid film

There is a local shop that sprayed it last time, they did a really nice job. Fluid Film undercoating is all they do. They used to only carry Fluid Film but they carry some other dtuff now too. They have all the special wands and sprayers to get inside everywhere. Plus they have late and Sunday hours which is nice with my work schedule. Takes about 45 minutes to an hour and it's not overly expensive.

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
There is a local shop that sprayed it last time, they did a really nice job. Fluid Film undercoating is all they do. They used to only carry Fluid Film but they carry some other dtuff now too. They have all the special wands and sprayers to get inside everywhere. Plus they have late and Sunday hours which is nice with my work schedule. Takes about 45 minutes to an hour and it's not overly expensive.
That's a different world than here brother. I saw the rust on the cars in upstate New York, so I get it, but it is so different than here that it is really alien to me.

Nov 4, 2012
That's a different world than here brother. I saw the rust on the cars in upstate New York, so I get it, but it is so different than here that it is really alien to me.

It sucks but it's just part of owning a car here. Most people don't keep new cars long enough for it to become an issue anyways. Part of me is tempted to just buy a $500 or $1000 winter beater and run it, but I don't want to buy another set of problems.

Some day I'll take a trip south and buy something rust free and clean. Until then I've got to deal with what I've got.

Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
You can not comprehend the evil that enters body shops in the northeast LoL and the repairs that have come before me.... Oh the nightmares. This truck really isn't bad and he did a great job on it.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Nov 4, 2012
You can not comprehend the evil that enters body shops in the northeast LoL and the repairs that have come before me.... Oh the nightmares. This truck really isn't bad and he did a great job on it.

Yeah wheel arches and rocker panels have a short life expectancy up here. I appreciate the kind words.

Nov 4, 2012
Addressed the leaking transmission today. Bought all the stuff to fix it this morning.
20200927_142241.jpg

Straightforward process really. Pulled the shifters off and the seats out, pulled the carpet back, and removed the access panel.
20200927_142310.jpg

Then drained the fluid, pulled the top cover off the transmission and brought it over to the bench. Sprayed it out with some brake cleaner and popped those rubber plugs out.
20200927_143100.jpg

20200927_143056.jpg

20200927_143304.jpg
20200927_143259.jpg

I used some Permatex Right Stuff gasket maker on the freeze plugs to make sure they sealed and tapped them in with a brass hammer. The plugs are Dorman part number 555-108. Most part stores don't stock them but there is a former Carquest that is now an Advance near me that has a bunch of old stock and they had a box of them on the shelf.
20200927_142245.jpg

I reused the cover gasket as it is rubber and was still pliable, but I did put a bead of gasket maker over it. I put some new strip caulk around the access panel and quickly painted the underside of it with some black Rustoleum.
20200927_160455.jpg

20200927_160442.jpg

I decided I'd swap out the shifter bushings and seal since I was already here, even though I already replaced them once. I refilled the transmission from the top, much easier than trying to fill it from underneath. It just takes regular Dex/Merc.

It's all back together now, everything seems good. Hopefully it'll stop leaving puddles on the driveway or at least leave smaller ones.
20200927_174821.jpg

20200927_174840.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor