My Inheritance

Status
Not open for further replies.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Please elaborate. That is a new one.
Well there is a thought that when a spring sits in the open position for long periods it loses spring pressure. The best thing to do is pull a spring and check the pressure. However on the flip side of that. I’ve seen it have no impact. What I have seen is big block chevys with heavy valve train when the cam companies recommend bare minimum spring pressures that work on install and then break in and lose pressure and become too weak.

Reactions: 2 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Ok I can see that. I also can see this go down the rabbit hole. I did try to start this engine every year at least once and run it up to operating temperature. The longest it sat with out being started was two years.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Ok I can see that. I also can see this go down the rabbit hole. I did try to start this engine every year at least once and run it up to operating temperature. The longest it sat with out being started was two years.

Valve spring technology has come a long way in 20 years, especially considering that in the early 2000s we were still operating on valve train technology from the 70s/80s.

Rabbit hole indeed.

Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Like I said it’s not a big deal to pull 2 springs off a cylinder and check them. GENERALLY what I have found is heat cycling and valve float do more to spring pressure than just sitting open for periods of time. They are supposed to be spring steel, so they are designed to run at a pressure and position. As long as you don’t exceed this they don’t fatigue. I hope I’m explaining so it makes sense. Kinda like if a spring has a million cycle life span, holding it open to a normal position is still 1 cycle.

Reactions: 3 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I haven't done much with the car lately because it is in working order. I did buy a better 12 inch electric fan. The engine is now running 190-200°. Even after hotroding it. I can live with that. I have taken it out a few times before today for some quick runs. Today was the famous "Cruise To The Woods ". It is Iowa's biggest cruise and car show combined. Couple thousand cars come from all over and meet in Fort Dodge. I found it is most fun too take a different route than the cruise and hang out in Leigh and watch cars go by.
20211003_124401.jpg
Here it is with some of my buddies cars.
20211003_120214.jpg
I got sidetracked in Stratford and only took one picture of another car.
20211003_094434.jpg
When I got back to the car to leave Stratford my wife was waiting by the car and the kids were inside playing, so I took a picture of them.
20211003_102616.jpg
Unfortunately my kids are a little too small to ride in this car. So they had to get out. I did take my son for a ride in it last night before I washed it. Quarter mile down the gravel road and back. I drove around 40 miles today. The car ran great and no problems. The only thing I don't like is it is way too loud! And yes it does hellacious burnouts! Looks like MrSony missed out again on a good time.

Reactions: 7 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I am looking for quieter mufflers. What do you guys like, and recommend? I have a big block Chevy with Hooker headers, three inch duel exhaust with no cross over, and Flowmaster chamber mufflers. It sounds almost the same as it did with open headers. It is too loud for a street car. I roll into town and people are on the phone to the cops loud. Also I guess this happened after the car show.
FB_IMG_1633392872495.jpg
I didn't go to the actual show so I missed it. I did see a video of it happening. The guy was trying to show off doing a power slide, but did not have any wheel speed and started going too fast and lost it. Traction control is a b*tch I guess. The guy walked away, but put his wife in the hospital. That's what happens kids when you are stupid!

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So which Flowmasters do you have? And do you have tailpipes?

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
So which Flowmasters do you have? And do you have tailpipes?
I do have tail pipes out the back.
20210131_154031.jpg
I am not sure witch muffler I have? It was like 15 years ago when I bought them. I want to say Delta 60's? What mufflers do you have on the Monte?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor