My Inheritance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Merlin race heads means nothing when there’s 4 versions. But you knew that. Maybe you shouldn’t be so quick to insult the people that actually know big block race engines.
I do not doubt your knowledge in the subject. I obviously don't have much in big blocks. I have built and played with a lot of small blocks. My Dad's are the only ones I have worked on besides the stock 454's. When I stated Merlin several times, you referred back to stock castings. When I keep talking about making this car more street friendly, you referred to race cars. I have a few friends that have and had fast street cars. Yes I made a mistake thinking and believing that this engine is something it is not. I don't think it would be a nine second car the way it was either. I appreciate the feedback that I get from you guys, but I do not like being criticized about everything to the point I want to ignore someone. Criticism is ok, just don't be a jerk on my thread to me.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I do not doubt your knowledge in the subject. I obviously don't have much in big blocks. I have built and played with a lot of small blocks. My Dad's are the only ones I have worked on besides the stock 454's. When I stated Merlin several times, you referred back to stock castings. When I keep talking about making this car more street friendly, you referred to race cars. I have a few friends that have and had fast street cars. Yes I made a mistake thinking and believing that this engine is something it is not. I don't think it would be a nine second car the way it was either. I appreciate the feedback that I get from you guys, but I do not like being criticized about everything to the point I want to ignore someone. Criticism is ok, just don't be a jerk on my thread to me.
Ok let me explain and be more clear because apparently there’s a miscommunication. Merlin heads will have a casting number under the valve cover this was not a reference to stock heads as apparently I made you think. Second my point about the 9 second novas is that you can make what you have work before back halving or mini tubbing the car which is a major undertaking. I apologize for making you think otherwise or not being clear in my intents. My friend runs an nhra stocker 69 nova and runs 11 teens legal and high 10’s with weight removed on 9” slicks and leaf springs with Lakewood slapper bars. I’d hate to see you do all that work when what you have is usable. Cooper cobra type radials won’t get traction no matter what suspension you have.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
OI do not doubt your knowledge in the subject. I obviously don't have much in big blocks. I have built and played with a lot of small blocks. My Dad's are the only ones I have worked on besides the stock 454's. When I stated Merlin several times, you referred back to stock castings. When I keep talking about making this car more street friendly, you referred to race cars. I have a few friends that have and had fast street cars. Yes I made a mistake thinking and believing that this engine is something it is not. I don't think it would be a nine second car the way it was either. I appreciate the feedback that I get from you guys, but I do not like being criticized about everything to the point I want to ignore someone. Criticism is ok, just don't be a jerk on my thread to me.

I believe some hardcore automotive archeology is in order. The whole redline
week comics GIF

thing kinda set you up for some funny looks and some sobering sh*t talking.

Season 6 GIF by ABC Network

Most of us just want to help.

Reactions: 3 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Ok let me explain and be more clear because apparently there’s a miscommunication. Merlin heads will have a casting number under the valve cover this was not a reference to stock heads as apparently I made you think. Second my point about the 9 second novas is that you can make what you have work before back halving or mini tubbing the car which is a major undertaking. I apologize for making you think otherwise or not being clear in my intents. My friend runs an nhra stocker 69 nova and runs 11 teens legal and high 10’s with weight removed on 9” slicks and leaf springs with Lakewood slapper bars. I’d hate to see you do all that work when what you have is usable. Cooper cobra type radials won’t get traction no matter what suspension you have.
I like the look of wider tires on these cars. I also would like to put the fuel cell in floor instead of on top of it. Either way I don't plan on doing anything with the back of the car for a while.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
A 9x28” slick should fit with no issues and 525 hp should get you into the mid to upper 11’s as it sits. When I ran my car 25 years ago with 540 dyno hp and 3675 lbs I ran 11.20’s at 118 with a best of 11.05 to give you an idea of how quick you’re looking at right now.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
5000 with passengers.
The registration for my RCSB truck says 5600 pounds. Add the bed cover and my fat a$$ and it's pushing 6000 lbs for sure. When I was a kid, that's what a big block square body Suburban weighed. Lord, these modern cars are heavy!

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The registration for my RCSB truck says 5600 pounds. Add the bed cover and my fat a$$ and it's pushing 6000 lbs for sure. When I was a kid, that's what a big block square body Suburban weighed. Lord, these modern cars are heavy!
:hijack: sorry

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I have been working on the car a little here and there. I put in a fuel bypass regulator and plumbed a return fuel line. The fuel pump is a lot happier. I replaced the 12 inch electric fan with a higher output one. I think it was around 1500 CFM? At idle not under a load it stays around 185-190°. I took it out for a spin yesterday afternoon. It is running pretty good. Not rodding on a hole lot and somewhat normal driving the temp stayed around 190-195°. Rodding on it (spinning the tires and hard pulls) it would jump up to 200-205°. I think that is manageable. I would like to see it lower temperature, but it will work. The low end torque is fun with the small tires, but doesn't have the upper rpm pull I want. All in all it drives decent and sounds a lot meaner than it is. Fun car regardless.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor