My Inheritance

Status
Not open for further replies.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I would move the lower shock mount inboard as far as I could without hitting anything. Of course I’m going by the picture, but it looks like someone added a piece of angle and moved the mount outboard by 1.5”.

Reactions: 1 user

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I would move the lower shock mount inboard as far as I could without hitting anything. Of course I’m going by the picture, but it looks like someone added a piece of angle and moved the mount outboard by 1.5”.
There is a pad welded to the slapper bars with three pieces of flat bar welded to it with holes in them. I believe they came that way for shock mounts? I have never really worked on one of these cars before this one and I am not a drag racer. So there is a lot of stuff I don't know much about.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Quick update. Nothing to write home about though. I got the exhaust all on the car. There was a lot of hacking and welding on tail pipes to make them fit and be serviceable.
20210131_154031.jpg
20201228_194324.jpg
I started working on the inside, but took a break from it for a couple weeks because of the cold weather. Now that it is getting warmer I am itching to get back on it.
20210131_160155.jpg
20210131_160143.jpg
I also need to fix my mistake I made many years ago before I knew better.
20210131_160127.jpg
You can't drill holes through roll bars kids, unless it is reinforced. I need to weld up the unneeded holes in the floor, put down the sound detonator mats, install the carpet on the back fire wall and the floor. Then I will put the seats back in and the rear window. I did start the car today and let it run. I have been itching to hear what the exhaust sounded like. Yep it is still loud! Three inch tubes with Flowmasters. It sounds pretty much the same as open headers, but a little quieter. I will probably be changing out those mufflers for something a lot quieter. I also have been working on my lifted truck some and have been doing some drywall repair and remodeling in the laundry room of our house. I am trying to get that truck ready to sell and I have probably a month of work left in the laundry room.
20210207_192158.jpg
20210221_183808.jpg
20210221_183824.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I have been working on the car a little here and there. I welded up the unwanted holes in the floor boards. Wire brushed and primed them. I fixed up the back firewall better. I got the back firewall covered in sound detonator and most of the floor boards.
20210502_183704.jpg
20210502_183655.jpg
I didn't have enough to cover every inch of the floor like I had planned, but I got most of it covered. I even used all the little scap pieces. The main thing was the back firewall. It rattled pretty bad before and I am covering it with trunk felt now. I also got the old seatbelt bolts out. My dad cut them off with the torch. Why I don't know. I have the laundry room just about all done now so I should have more time for this project to come. I also started it and let run a while. I think I will be changing the mufflers this winter. With full 3 inch exhaust and Flowmasters it sounds almost the same as it did with open headers. Fine for a race car, but too loud for a street car.

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
That is plenty enough coverage. I bet the floor sounds like the wooden box in the back seat now.

• Agree

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
That is plenty enough coverage. I bet the floor sounds like the wooden box in the back seat now.
It does sound a lot more solid now. I wish I had the factory back seat, but it is long gone and my dad made that box. Hopefully I can make it look okish. When I started the car the external fuel pump sounded a lot quieter. Even with the black window out.

Reactions: 3 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I have been at it again. I got the back covered in felt, carpet in, trim on, back glass in, seats in, and new seat belts for both seats.
20210613_180255.jpg
20210613_180306.jpg
20210613_180317.jpg
It is not show car worthy, but pretty nice for a race car! It did quite down a lot inside the car when it is running and looks a lot better. Mission accomplished. I did take it for a very short drive. I found a few more issues I need to address. The main one is, the fuel pump quit working when I got it put away. The problem is I used a common ford seliniod to run the fuel pump. I did that back in my 20's. So it is getting hot and shutting off. Needs to be a solid state seliniod or a relay. Easy enough to fix. The brakes or ok, but not good. I think my Dad has the lines mixed up? Big rear line on the master cylinder is going to the rear and the small front line is going to the front. It has disc brake conversion on the front and big drums in the back. It also is running hot, but I knew that. I took all the junk accessory brackets off the front of the engine. The plan is to paint the front of the engine a little bit and put the serpentine belt drive stuff on. I am also going to change the radiator cooling system. The fans my Dad put on there are too small and the fan controller is junk. Here is a picture of the before setup.
20210613_180240.jpg
I might be changing the water pump out too. There seems to be some kind of descepency with the alternator mounting bracket and the water pump that is on it. According to the instructions there is supposed to be mounting holes where there isn't. Here is a picture of the dirty b*tch out side in sun.
20210613_180427.jpg
That's it for now.

Reactions: 7 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I follow you. I can see where the Caltracs would be better. They articulate better. Where should the shocks mount? Even though I don't plan to do anything with that part of the car right now I am all ears to suggestions for future upgrades. My main goal right now is to make it streetable and be able to drive 30+ miles.

I've been following your post and happy that you have part of your father to keep and constantly remind you. I'd like to through my 2 cents at installing Caltracs. I went with the split mono and sliders in the rear and never had a problem hooking at any track I go to.

1623670923958.png

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor