My nearly new, 0 owner 2017 Dodge Challenger GT

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I have been putting on 245 km on multiple trips on Regular 87 10% ethanol gas, I was averaging low to mid 34 mpg. I added 3/4 tank of 91 non ethanol Premium gas and got these numbers. View attachment 180795 View attachment 180796 View attachment 180797 It is a good 1/2 to nearly 1 mpg over Regular, same conditions. I am testing one more tank of Premium, see if I gain anymore.
Two thoughts/questions...

1) how do those numbers compare to when the new tires went on? I know some brands/models of tires deliver better fuel mileage than others... not talking size change, just the compounds and tread pattern. Could that be a factor?

2) also not familiar with how the engine management system works on your car. I do know that in our late model mustangs you pick up about 10hp real world, factory rated somewhat less, jumping from low grade to mid grade. Making more power means less throttle for same driving performance, likely means better mpg. Could be similar.

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I have been putting on 245 km on multiple trips on Regular 87 10% ethanol gas, I was averaging low to mid 34 mpg. I added 3/4 tank of 91 non ethanol Premium gas and got these numbers. View attachment 180795 View attachment 180796 View attachment 180797 It is a good 1/2 to nearly 1 mpg over Regular, same conditions. I am testing one more tank of Premium, see if I gain anymore.

It's the reason Natasha's Colorado has always been on 91. These high strung V6s love the stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Two thoughts/questions...

1) how do those numbers compare to when the new tires went on? I know some brands/models of tires deliver better fuel mileage than others... not talking size change, just the compounds and tread pattern. Could that be a factor?

2) also not familiar with how the engine management system works on your car. I do know that in our late model mustangs you pick up about 10hp real world, factory rated somewhat less, jumping from low grade to mid grade. Making more power means less throttle for same driving performance, likely means better mpg. Could be similar.
I say similar mileage wise for tires. Dodge did a performance upgrades on the Pentastar in the Jeep but for some reason not the Challenger, WTF🤨. 11.5 to 1 from 10.5 to 1, the cam timing is improved and the lower intake is better cast for flow. It added 15 hp, 295 hp, up from 280 hp and some torque. Why it wasn't done to the 305 hp version to bump it to a more competitive 320 hp is beyond me. The non ethanol 91 is well worth it mileage wise, even if the power gain minimal. I wish there was a place I could put a 300 or 500 gallon tank and drop directly off our fuel truck, it is only 10 cents a liter more for Premium. At the pumps, 15.9 cents more per liter. That equals nearly $12 more per tank.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Also, forgot earlier...

To those who haven't been in/around Canada and don't know better, and wonder about those high mpg totals in absolute terms, Canada uses the UK imperial gallon. It's 117% give or take what a US gallon is, instead of 3.8 it's... what, 4.57 or so l/gal?

So 36mpg can = 30.5mpg us. Odd how close it trends toward the monetary exchange ratio as well. Then again, with the exception of kalifornia, they pay more per gallon at the pump as well.

Still, good mileage on such a heavy awd vehicle

• Agree
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes, it will be Imperial MPG, Canada is a British Commonwealth country, we signed a piece of paper for independence. Yes, the AWD is the same weight as the V8 cars, 4100 pounds. It still runs high 14's in the 1/4 bone stock. The back up camera and collision warning is super helpful on this car, a lot of blind spots. The auto dimming head lights and automatic, adjustable distance between other cars, cruise control, work great for the distracted or tired drivers, I am both. Also the heated mirrors and steering wheel are nice, along with the really nice AWD make Winter driving awesome. The heated and cooled front seats and automatic climate control make all weather conditions comfortable. The factory command starting is very appreciated in -40, not bad in +35C either. The V6 is whisper quiet and uses almost 0 oil in the 10000+ km full synthetic oil changes. The stock exhaust note is perfect, just loud enough when opened up. I have used a couple of different filters. These cartridge filters are an interesting idea. I had the plastic end break off on the Motormaster OE Plus synthetic blend filter, not using that one again. The K+N filter seemed decent. I used a Castrol full synthetic filter. This line looks well made in all the filters. I will probably go that route from now on, available local and under $15 on sale at Canadian Tire. I got a Purolator Pure One synthetic blend for about a $1 cheaper off Amazon. These used to be a really nice filter, a nice looking, white media with plenty of pleats. This car is my Wife's baby, I plan on keeping it forever. I am eventually planning a Redeye dual snorkel hood, same as the Hellkitty. It would be left in Gelcoat Black with a low gloss clear to protect it. Then a Hellcat air box and tube to work with the functional forced air hood. That hood reminds me a lot of the Oldsmobile W25 hood, I really like it. I would also do the PUG or ported lower intake and bigger throttle body, Ripp coils, actually dyno proven for a few HP and probably would help MPG. A Hemifever tune would also be done, I would pick up a spare ECM and have it done on it. The exhaust is super tricky to not sound like a ricer due to the exhaust shorty header built into the head itself. The cats are the most restrictive part of the exhaust, everything else is straight through. I would do the opposite of everyone else and do the head pipes first. AFE has head pipes with high flow cats in stainless, bigger where it comes off the head and eliminates a couple of factory kinks in the pipes. They claim 7hp and 11 ft/lbs of torque. I would also do a better X pipe then the factory as well. Supposedly the better X pipe lowers the tone slightly and is a hair louder. The Ripp and Sprintex Superchargers both work but both have minor issues. Sprintex won't allow the stock hood to close. Supposedly there was revised design that did work with the stock hood and now they pretend it doesn't exist, WTF🤨. Their instructions suck and usually minor parts are missing for $5500 US. Just under 400 whp and similar torque. The Ripp also has minor issues, is a easier centrifugal Supercharger bolt on, makes more hp but less torque, around the same power and also has minor issues. Both would make it a 12 flat 1/4 mile car. Supposedly there are better tunes than the supplied, tuned ECM. Honestly the smaller ZF 8 speed isn't my main worry at failure, it is rated at 440 ft/lbs of torque. It is the tiny front, aluminum diff on these AWD cars. It can only take so much punishment, looks really small, need to find the specs. If I go this route, I would probably keep a spare on hand.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Another thing about these cars. With the 8 spd and 3.07 gears with 29.1" tall 235/55R19 tires, they actually get the best mileage at 120 km/hr(75 MPH). Problem is, most roads are 90 to 100 km/hr here and #1 is 110 km/hr. The RCMP basically allow 10ish km/hr over the speed, much above is asking for a ticket. About 90 percent of my route, I drive 111 or 112 km/hr, the last bit before Regina, I drive 118 to 120 km/hr and my mileage climbs big time.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Yes, it will be Imperial MPG, Canada is a British Commonwealth country, we signed a piece of paper for independence. Yes, the AWD is the same weight as the V8 cars, 4100 pounds. It still runs high 14's in the 1/4 bone stock. The back up camera and collision warning is super helpful on this car, a lot of blind spots. The auto dimming head lights and automatic, adjustable distance between other cars, cruise control, work great for the distracted or tired drivers, I am both. Also the heated mirrors and steering wheel are nice, along with the really nice AWD make Winter driving awesome. The heated and cooled front seats and automatic climate control make all weather conditions comfortable. The factory command starting is very appreciated in -40, not bad in +35C either. The V6 is whisper quiet and uses almost 0 oil in the 10000+ km full synthetic oil changes. The stock exhaust note is perfect, just loud enough when opened up. I have used a couple of different filters. These cartridge filters are an interesting idea. I had the plastic end break off on the Motormaster OE Plus synthetic blend filter, 88-91not using that one again. The K+N filter seemed decent. I used a Castrol full synthetic filter. This line looks well made in all the filters. I will probably go that route from now on, available local and under $15 on sale at Canadian Tire. I got a Purolator Pure One synthetic blend for about a $1 cheaper off Amazon. These used to be a really nice filter, a nice looking, white media with plenty of pleats. This car is my Wife's baby, I plan on keeping it forever. I am eventually planning a Redeye dual snorkel hood, same as the Hellkitty. It would be left in Gelcoat Black with a low gloss clear to protect it. Then a Hellcat air box and tube to work with the functional forced air hood. That hood reminds me a lot of the Oldsmobile W25 hood, I really like it. I would also do the PUG or ported lower intake and bigger throttle body, Ripp coils, actually dyno proven for a few HP and probably would help MPG. A Hemifever tune would also be done, I would pick up a spare ECM and have it done on it. The exhaust is super tricky to not sound like a ricer due to the exhaust shorty header built into the head itself. The cats are the most restrictive part of the exhaust, everything else is straight through. I would do the opposite of everyone else and do the head pipes first. AFE has head pipes with high flow cats in stainless, bigger where it comes off the head and eliminates a couple of factory kinks in the pipes. They claim 7hp and 11 ft/lbs of torque. I would also do a better X pipe then the factory as well. Supposedly the better X pipe lowers the tone slightly and is a hair louder. The Ripp and Sprintex Superchargers both work but both have minor issues. Sprintex won't allow the stock hood to close. Supposedly there was revised design that did work with the stock hood and now they pretend it doesn't exist, WTF🤨. Their instructions suck and usually minor parts are missing for $5500 US. Just under 400 whp and similar torque. The Ripp also has minor issues, is a easier centrifugal Supercharger bolt on, makes more hp but less torque, around the same power and also has minor issues. Both would make it a 12 flat 1/4 mile car. Supposedly there are better tunes than the supplied, tuned ECM. Honestly the smaller ZF 8 speed isn't my main worry at failure, it is rated at 440 ft/lbs of torque. It is the tiny front, aluminum diff on these AWD cars. It can only take so much punishment, looks really small, need to find the specs. If I go this route, I would probably keep a spare on hand.
Exhaust you say? I hear there's a fellow glutton for punishment up there who does good work and likes to make exhausts out of dinner trays that could help you out 😜

• Haha

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Exhaust you say? I hear there's a fellow glutton for punishment up there who does good work and likes to make exhausts out of dinner trays that could help you out 😜

It's cookie sheets, dick. :love: Ain't stupid if it works. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Today, slowed it down slightly on the way back, cops tend to need less reason on the end of a long weekend.
20210802_185554.jpg

SupremeSpeed

G-Body Guru
Sep 29, 2016
GA
Cool ride bro check out my new daily. 2010 Rt 6 speed manual.

Attachments

• 20210731_202646.jpg
    20210731_202646.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
  • Winner

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor