My recent negative Summit Racing experience

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I've been a long time customer of Summit Racing. Typically they do a great job but the true test is when something goes wrong. They failed that test miserably with me.

At the end of last year we were working on Dad's 62 Ford Galaxie. We thought we were having oil pressure problems, when all along it was Teflon tape blocking the oil pressure sender. I bought several parts from Summit over a period of several weeks so that we would hopefully have what we needed each weekend to solve the problem and not be waiting on parts. When it was all over, we had some extra parts. I elected to keep a few of them since it was too much hassle to send them back, like an oil pan gasket that is on a card to keep it in shape, or parts that we would eventually use like an FL1A oil filter.

In mid-December I returned a Melling high-volume oil pump, a Milodon oil pump pick-up, and an Autometer oil pressure sender. All unopened, in the original packaging. About $150 in parts. I packed the box well, was generous with good quality tape and followed all return instructions. I used the Summit Racing return label. I dropped the box off at the post office. I received an email notification from Newgistics that the return was in process. That status never changed. After a few weeks of checking it I tracked the package using the USPS tracking number and it showed that the package had been received by USPS and was ready for pickup by Newgistics.

I was a little concerned but it was the holidays so I thought it might just be taking some time for the package to get there and be processed. I emailed Summit and they echoed my sentiment, that it hadn't been enough time.

The package never got there. Over the past several months I've called Summit several times. I've emailed Summit several times. They've done nearly nothing to help me. They asked me to go to the post office and see if the package was still there. I did so. It wasn't. I was advised by the post office that the package was evidently picked up by Newgistics but wasn't scanned into the system. The post office issued a letter stating the package has been irretrievably lost.

Here is my perspective: I followed the return instructions and used Summit's return label. Whether the package gets there or not should not be my issue, especially when it appears Summit's vendor (Newgistics) lost the package.

My last three emails to Summit Racing went unanswered. My last email included "Does Summit Care? Last chance to make this right" in the title. No reponse.

I am no longer a Summit Racing customer. I will do my business with Rock Auto, Amazon, Jegs, eBay, etc. If you have a return with Summit Racing I suggest you don't use their label. I just wanted to share this experience with you all. I've always liked Summit. It's disappointing that they've dropped the ball this badly.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
If it was shipped back by the U. S. Post office, it should be insured.
Unless you request more, standard coverage for Priority Mail is just $50.00
You gotta pay for more coverage above $50 if you want it.
As far as using a vendor supplied label for return, you may have the $50, or none....

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
To be honest these days none of them care, Atech had been the best with us who is the commercial side of Summit. I went through a similar experience with Amazon where they stopped responding after they had sent me on a wild goose chase

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I'm sorry to hear the problems you're having with their returns and Customer Service.

Luckily I live within driving distance of the Tallmadge store and if something is questionable, I just go directly there. I realize that isn't the case for most.

I used to have an insider there who pulled some strings for me the one time I did have a problem. I had a B&M shifter cable snap. It was still under warranty. But he was able to get me the more expensive heavier duty cable instead as my warranty replacement for no extra charge. He used to tell everybody: By all means, buy all your parts at Summit. Just don't buy Summit "brand" parts. They have the most returns.

But I can understand if that ship has already sailed for you.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
Did you receive any documentation/receipt when you dropped it off at the post office?

Have you tweeted Summit Racing or used any other social media platform to bring attention to this issue?

You don't have to go into detail about the issue on social media, just say that you had a return, you dropped the package off, and you still haven't received a refund.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have never used their return label, I always use the UPS store so I can insure it and have paperwork saying I gave it to someone, it costs more but for piece of mind I feel it is worth it.
I personally have never had an issue with Summit with returns or defective parts etc. and I probably spend more than most people do there.
They even have it set up if I order something on a Thursday it will get shipped Fed Ex so I get it by Saturday instead of Mon. with UPS.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Around the end of the year last year I sent back a few items to Summit, tracking ended after it left where I dropped it off & to this day was listed as "on it's way" for over two months but Summit had it & refunded my money about 3 weeks after dropping it off at the post office.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Well that suck's sh*t!!! Something is going on with summit, l recently had a trucking parcel shipped from Summit, they gave me 2 options of shipping so l picked FedEx which was almost $100 USD cheaper than Del, they ended up shipping it Del! I was pissed as the parts were only $150usd an now the bill comes to $400usd.

I called Summit, talked to a woman an she said it's been shipped already so they can't do anything. I emailed the company explaining everything and also stating that l spend atleast $5000usd there a year an if this is how they do business l'll be dealing with JEGS an Rockauto from now on , responds back was "you already talked to shipping and they explained it was to late as it's been shipped" Nicely saying f*k you!!

So okay l'm done with Summit!!

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Only "bad" experiences I've had with summit, I bought some BBF and "buick stuff", oil filters mainly, that were listed as fitting such. They did not. At all. I called them, they asked to send them back, I said I'm not paying shipping on $14 of parts. They said no problem and sent me two free oil filters. 2nd one was around last summer. Ordered 235/60/15 coopers, one came and had a massive gouge in the sidewall, like a roller on a conveyor belt or something rubbed right through the tire. I called and told em, and they sent out a new tire. That ruined one is now a tire swing for my little cousins.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor