My turbo 5.3 and 4l80e wagon build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Several good sources of information here. If you ordered the Denmah kit then it comes with a wastegate. That is the part in the system that controls boost. Without it a gas V8 has enough BTU energy to spin a very large turbo really hard (POOF!). The turbo will not self regulate like they do on older diesel engines. I see the Missouri (misery??) license plate on the car, is that where you live? My parents live there and i wish i had access to E85 like they do. Build your fuel system to use it as it is very forgiving of tuning issues unlike pump gas, especially timing mistakes, ask me how i know....

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Yeah I think I accidently said it was a 78 mm. Oops. Lol
The rear was about $2200 with shipping. I had drain and fill plugs and jack pad added which added a little cost, as well as the brake line and fitting kit for the discs. But that price included 31 spline axles and third member with gearing of my choice (3.89), gear tooth pattern checked and all.
Sure, I could have bought a junk yard piece and welded the right pieces on. But I have virtually no fabrication skills and don't really know anyone who does anything like that. I wanted that part of my build to be as painless as possible.
I considered running the stock converter but don't want the car to be a dog out of the hole. So I will be buying Circle D's $550 budget stall for 4l80s. Haven't quite decided what stall speed I want just yet though. But I hear nothing but good things about those converters/company and for the price, I think it's a good deal.

I just reread this. Those are some pretty steep gears for a turbo car!!! Its going to liquefy anything short of a slick on a prepped track. I run 245s and it smokes them from a roll with 2.73s.

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
Several good sources of information here. If you ordered the Denmah kit then it comes with a wastegate. That is the part in the system that controls boost. Without it a gas V8 has enough BTU energy to spin a very large turbo really hard (POOF!). The turbo will not self regulate like they do on older diesel engines. I see the Missouri (misery??) license plate on the car, is that where you live? My parents live there and i wish i had access to E85 like they do. Build your fuel system to use it as it is very forgiving of tuning issues unlike pump gas, especially timing mistakes, ask me how i know....
I didn't order the full Denmah kit. Just the turbo, waste gate and BOV. Didn't have the funds to do the whole kit at once.
And please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not saying this to be an *ss in any way, but I'm very familiar with how forced induction works on engines and the components required to make them work. I actually have a Bachelor's Degree in Automotive Technology. Which really doesn't mean sh*t in this aspect but I at least know how most sh*t works haha. I've just never built a setup of my own. Again I hope you don't take that the wrong way, I just didn't want you thinking you have to explain how everything works to me, that's all lol
Man, I've thought about running E85 and I know that there are several benefits to running it in boosted applications (like the ones you mentioned). I'm just not sure I want to have to worry about the extra stuff required to run the stuff to start off with. Especially since I have a P01 ECM and want to run RTT, which keeps me from being able to run flex. Now after I have everything built and I've learned the ropes on tuning and such, I wouldn't be against adding everything for E85.

Yeah I know they are a little high but I'm going to do it to start with. I'll see how it does and reacts and change my ratio if it's undriveable.

Reactions: 1 user

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Certainly no offense from me. I am very book-knowledgeable about cars, but in terms of bloody knuckles, greasy fingernails knowledge of wrenching on specific models, I'm an admitted n00b. I've found this forum is one of the friendliest I've found.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Good. I didn't take offense, just erred on the side of caution trying to save you trouble. Book learning means very little to me. Skills in application are far more difficult to obtain and result in exponentially better outcomes.
I work with MD, PhDs that are so idiotic it hurts to watch. Literally can't do their own laundry.

Reactions: 1 users

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
Good. I didn't take offense, just erred on the side of caution trying to save you trouble. Book learning means very little to me. Skills in application are far more difficult to obtain and result in exponentially better outcomes.
I work with MD, PhDs that are so idiotic it hurts to watch. Literally can't do their own laundry.
And I genuinely appreciate that. I always try to make a point to tell people that just because I have a degree, doesn't make me an expert by any means or even good at turning wrenches. The people who learned their stuff from experience and not from a classroom will always be better mechanics in my opinion. I might know the theory and operation behind something but that doesn't mean I know how to rebuild the damn thing lol

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
Here's an update on some other things I've gotten done on the build so far.
For gear changes I'm going with the B&M Pro Stick Magnum with a 4 speed gate. Love the look and feel of these shifters. Can't wait to use it.

A few pics are of my re-worked harness. It's not as fancy as the ones you can buy but I'm more than happy with it. Deleted everything I didn't need and added the extra VSS pigtail for the transmission. It's all wired through an aftermarket 4 fuse Dorman fuse block with relays for fuel pump, coils, injectors and main power. My cooling fans will run on their own fuses and relays.

One pic of the Cipher Auto seats installed. Very happy with the quality and feel of them. Especially for $350 for the pair.

Last few of my oil supply and return ports on my shortened truck oil pan.

Attachments

• 20171105_074430.jpg
    20171105_074430.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 269
  • 20171204_221207.jpg
    20171204_221207.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 260
  • 20171205_003146.jpg
    20171205_003146.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 277
  • 20171221_150225.jpg
    20171221_150225.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 269
  • 20180112_154657.jpg
    20180112_154657.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 261
  • 20180112_154713.jpg
    20180112_154713.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 266
  • 20180112_154720.jpg
    20180112_154720.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 267
Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Here's an update on some other things I've gotten done on the build so far.
For gear changes I'm going with the B&M Pro Stick Magnum with a 4 speed gate. Love the look and feel of these shifters. Can't wait to use it.

A few pics are of my re-worked harness. It's not as fancy as the ones you can buy but I'm more than happy with it. Deleted everything I didn't need and added the extra VSS pigtail for the transmission. It's all wired through an aftermarket 4 fuse Dorman fuse block with relays for fuel pump, coils, injectors and main power. My cooling fans will run on their own fuses and relays.

One pic of the Cipher Auto seats installed. Very happy with the quality and feel of them. Especially for $350 for the pair.

Last few of my oil supply and return ports on my shortened truck oil pan.

Man, do I ever know your pain... wiring, ewww.

Keep at it.

• Agree

Ace Burt

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2017
Texas
looking good, what did you do for motor mounts and cross member? I am putting a Quick 9" Ford in my El Camino build as well. They are tough to beat for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor