Need help! Dying Dash in my GP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mofoyaknow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2014
Portland, OR
I'm doing a color change from the gray blue to black on my 85 grand Prix...everything's gone great so far and I'm almost done I'm working on the dash now but for the life of me can't get into the nooks and crannies up where the windshield meets dash...I've tried the little sponges, paint brush and just spraying...thinking I'd just take a razor blade to the window after...anyway I got a mess now and am thinking I should of just pulled the dash enough to get to the tight area to begin with, but the ol man told me not to, well since I don't listen that good I'm thinking I need a co -signer... Is this my best option? Please let me know what I can do, thank you!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Removing the dash would be a more effective way to paint it, and get into all the nooks and crannies. It's a bit time consuming removing the dash, but the final results speak for itself.
In other words, it's difficult painting a dash in the car and expecting to cover it entirely.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
yes pulling it out would make it much easier went from dark blue to black

Attachments

• IMAG0070.jpg
    IMAG0070.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 241
  • IMAG0063.jpg
    IMAG0063.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 241
  • IMAG0079.jpg
    IMAG0079.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 248
  • Optimistic
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I you didn't want to pull the dash you could remove the windshield and put it back in when you were finished with the dash

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I always pull the dash with a color change.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I you didn't want to pull the dash you could remove the windshield and put it back in when you were finished with the dash
Steve,
I think it would open up a can of worms pulling the windshield. Besides, there's the always the chance that you can break it. However, with the windshield out, it would give you more access to areas that would not be accessible otherwise.

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Jack, you are right but I don't know how well the dye works and would be concerned with chipping the dye when getting the dash back in.

mofoyaknow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2014
Portland, OR
Removing the dash would be a more effective way to paint it, and get into all the nooks and crannies. It's a bit time consuming removing the dash, but the final results speak for itself.
In other words, it's difficult painting a dash in the car and expecting to cover it entirely.

Thank you! That's what I thought I should do, now how hard is the dash to pull? I see the bolts is the middle then 4 on the vents than the 2 on the inner each side is that it? Trial and error I guess right...Thank you again

mofoyaknow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2014
Portland, OR
how well does the dye work, I would love to change the blue in my GP
Works great so far SEM brand and VHT dye are the best to use for interior panels and vinyl. Adhesion promoter is a must, there's some great forums I followed in my process on here that were easy to follow.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor