need help!! offset question

Status
Not open for further replies.

85grandprix

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2017
so I'm ordering a new set of wheels since my first set didn't go with the route that my build is taking. so my front wheels that I'm looking at are 20x8.5 with a +10 offset. the backs are 20x9.5 with a +12 offset. My question is will the wheels for the back work I'm also running a 275/35/20 tire on the back. I don't know much about offset that's why I'm asking you guys. I think the positive offset will cause the rim to stick out I'm not sure. I'm fine with that just as long as its not sticking to far out...

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I thought the offset measurement are used for FWD cars. I always use BS measurements

85grandprix

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2017
I thought the offset measurement are used for FWD cars. I always use BS measurements
this is how the website I'm getting them from does it for some reason. all my wheels ive ordered from them have been offset and my cars are all rear wheel drive

85grandprix

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2017
so I figured it out negative offsets are for deeper dished wheels a positive offset are for flatter faced wheels. most off the vintage styled deep dish wheels have a negative offset. only difference is offsets are in mm and backspacing is in inches. there is math that you can do to convert mm to inches which gets your backspacing.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
You don't want + offset wheels in back unless you have a Frame Notch. Ideal offset in back is around -5 to -10mm. +12 will likely rub the frame with wider wheels/tires.

You can get away with +10 in front with a 17" or larger wheel, so in front you'll be fine.

85grandprix

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2017
id look up a backspace/converter and see what backspacing people are successfully running on similar sized wheels
thanks Ive figured it out.
You don't want + offset wheels in back unless you have a Frame Notch. Ideal offset in back is around -5 to -10mm. +12 will likely rub the frame with wider wheels/tires.

You can get away with +10 in front with a 17" or larger wheel, so in front you'll be fine.
they have the 8.5 in the back with a plus 10 offset but 8.5 isn't the look I'm going for. I may just have to notch the frame so I can fit the combo I want for the back.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
thanks Ive figured it out.

they have the 8.5 in the back with a plus 10 offset but 8.5 isn't the look I'm going for. I may just have to notch the frame so I can fit the combo I want for the back.

If you aren't running sticky tires, you could do a wheel with MORE offset, then use a Hub centric wheel adapter to get the Wheel to -5mm to -10mm. With a 275 tire, +12 is going to be close to the frame,

I've put 1,000's of miles on my 2+2 over 120 mph and up to 170 mph with hubcentric adapters in back and have had zero issues with them.

85grandprix

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2017
If you aren't running sticky tires, you could do a wheel with MORE offset, then use a Hub centric wheel adapter to get the Wheel to -5mm to -10mm. With a 275 tire, +12 is going to be close to the frame,

I've put 1,000's of miles on my 2+2 over 120 mph and up to 170 mph with hubcentric adapters in back and have had zero issues with them.
they do have a 9.5 with 0 offset. .how does that work? sorry for so many questions. they also have an 8.5 with -6 0ffset but I know that want fit my 275 tire

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor