Need help with headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yates

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2011
I have an 83 regal that has been sitting in the garage since last year. Car runs great but I just realized that my headlights are not working. All other lights work except the headlights. I tested to see if there is power to them which there is not. My only idea where there may be a problem is my high beam switch is broken therefore the high beams don't engage when i pull the lever back, which is on my steering column. Does anyone have any ideas if that could be the reason my head lights don't work? All fuses are fine. I also tested the yellow wire that goes from my headlight switch to the high beam switch and that works. One other thing is I do have power coming out of my headlight switch. The only wire that I don't have power on is the small brown wire that feeds my headlight. I'm lost and I can't drive this car at night until I fix this. TYIA

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
Try a different switch if you can get one.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Since the high beam switch needs to be replace I would replace that first. The high beam switch could be stuck on high beam but defective and not sending the power to the headlights.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
The headlight switch and dimmer switch are inexpensive. I would start with dimmer first as we know there is an issue. Next pull headlight switch and see if you have current on the big red wire. If not could be a fuse link issue at starter. If you do...probably a bad switch

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Yates

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2011
Awesome thanks guys. I tested the wires on the dimmer switch and the yellow wire is the only one with power was gonna jump that to the brown wire which is headlights to see if that's it. The dimmer switch looks like a b*tch to get out. Do I have to drop the steering column to remove it?

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
No,
Not to bad to replace. Tape rod to column to first as it connects up top,. will make it easier

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
and when you install it if you have a tilt steering make sure you have it adjust so it works with all angle of the steering wheel. If you do want to drop the column to make the job easier a long 5/8" socket works on the two nuts holding the column in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor