Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyfromhell

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 13, 2010
Detriot ,Michigan
www.myspace.com
hey everyone im new to the site i have a 86 cutlass with a oldsmobile 350
i am going to install a roll bar in my car soon and i was trying to find somebody who has the measurments for the cuts i will have to do for the main hoop and door bars to fit

if you dont already have a cage or the tubing i would highly recomend an art morrison kit. slight trimming and install. mine went in great and is legal for just about everything.

I agree, the art morrison cage is about the best fit for the money, unless you get one custom made and then you can get anything you want. I think you would need the cage first before you go cutting your car up, even though the cage comes from the same company none of them are exactly the same. Mine was custom made but I used an art morrison pre made cage for my measurements and as a jig so it's the same. Most will go down through the rear deck speaker holes to the top of the spring mounts on the frame to get weight transfer, so your removing both rear speakers, and cutting 2 holes in your trunk floor, the main hoop (for a 6 point) will be behind the front seats between the quarter window and the front seats but in front of the rear seat. And then the door bars you'll either have to cut your door panels to fit the door bars or make your own door panels. Hope this gives you an idea of what you need, just remember when you cut your holes in your body you will need to cut them big to get the tip of the welder in there to weld it to the frame.

i already have a pre bent one from jegs does anybody here have a roll cage in there cutlass that they can send me pics of the install ??????

Roll bars/cages are car specific. I would NOT trust the measurements from anyone elses car and just blindly cut yours to those measurements. There are just too many variables with the construction of these cars that could throw off your measurements.

i agree with the above posted. cages are also fitted to the driver. for example NHRA rules specify the the door bar has to come down at like elbo hight and your head has to be a certain distance from the bars and so on. pictures are good. but fit the cage to you and your car

It's not as scary as it sounds sorta. The important things are 6" Max between helmet and the top bar behind the seat, 5" max between top of top bar and where the angled bar to the rear. It must also extend 3" above the drivers helmet or be within 1" of the roof or headliner. Rear and side must be as wide as the shoulders or with 1" of the drivers door.

I suggest at least buying an NHRA rule book. There are a few specifics as far as connecting points on the car etc. I did not install mine but I have the book and have been checking mine out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor