need some help figuring out what i got??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
It appears to be a 3 or 4 core stock radiator. Open the cap and look inside to count how many rows are there. If it's really rebuilt there should be be no junk around the openings of the rows. I would flush it out and try a 160 thermostat and remove the AC condenser if it's not being used. FWIW I used a narrow 6 cyl 3 row with a Pontiac 400 and it cooled fine but it was new and clean.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Water Wetter lowered the temps 20* on my 68' LeSabre. With the cap off, can you see coolant flowing briskly? (DON'T GET BURNED!) I would still remove the condenser.

larryo454

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Hi did u change the water pump in the engine? If so you might have a reverse rotation pump used with the surpentine belts system.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
are you running a constant 215? does it change if you let the car idle? what about idling with the fan on or off? or driving?
it is possible that the cooling system is fine, the engine may be out of tune. if the timing is advanced, or the carb is tuned lean, or there's a vacuum leak, it can run at a higher temp.
don't recall if you said where you are---so.... if you're in the desert 215 is fine.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you might want to check to make sure the water pump is a reverse flow....I bought a rebuilt from Napa that was in a box with the right part number for a reverse flow and ran almost all summer with it. It ran warm but never overheated and I could not find the problem until I had to check the flow in the rad cause I was getting a air lock in my heater hoses and noticed there was no flow so I removed the water pump and took of the back panel and it was not a reverse flow pump...replaced it and the temp is perfect

deadtofall_11

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2010
got it fixed, put in a 160 thermostat and now its running 175 and 180 but its also only about 40 degrees out right now

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
deadtofall_11 said:
got it fixed, put in a 160 thermostat and now its running 175 and 180 but its also only about 40 degrees out right now

I wouldn't count on it being fixed yet. The thermostat only controls minimum operating temp and will do nothing to cure a faulty or insuffecient cooling system. Unless the last thermostat was sticking or not opening all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor