Need some help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Well I got it out and I'm kinda confused. I took it down the road and I shifted it through all the gears fine. Came back checked the fluid and it seems a little darker than usual. I wipe it on a white rag and it looks more red than pink. It smells like syrup but the trans temp gauge only got to 150-160 with engine at 175-180. It seemed like the more I drove it the better it got but when I went to turn around in a parking lot I heard a quiet whine in reverse then it went away. I still need to add fluid because it's at the add line and I ran out of ATF :(

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I will say this.....it seemed like it got a lot better as I drove it. One thing i noticed is that the more i drove it the smoother the shifting got. Starting out it would chirp the tires now it shifts like a new car, quick but almost unnoticeable and barely any drop in rpms. This is my first bigger stall converter trans so im not really sure if its supposed to act like this or not. After my dad got his TH400 rebuilt he said it wouldnt chirp the tires anymore but still has a firm shift. There wasn't any slipping I could feel but I did feel a vibration when I was on the throttle. As soon as I let off it went away. That could be timing though because for some reason when I started it up it turned over real slow then started up.

Last edited:

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
sounds like it's starting to work...:)
So the real sweet smell is nothing to worry about? It definately doesnt smell like brand new ATF does.

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
Clutches smell bad and darken the fluid a lot. So thats not it.

What's wondering me is the shifting. Why is/was it that hard.

But if it works now, dont try and fix it:)

Reactions: 1 user

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Clutches smell bad and darken the fluid a lot. So thats not it.

What's wondering me is the shifting. Why is/was it that hard.

But if it works now, dont try and fix it:)
I can't really describe the smell other than syrup like lol. The fluid is more clear not red or pink. When I wipe the fluid on a white piece of paper it looks the same as when I wipe new fluid next to it but on my finger its clear.

The only thing im concerned about is the shifting. With a manual valve body I would imagine a more firm shift. It has no problem going into gear regardless of speed but its like you don't notice it because the rpms barely drop and it doesnt slam you in the seat like I imagine it would. Maybe the pressure is down? Is it as simple as adjusting the line pressure?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
So the real sweet smell is nothing to worry about? It definately doesnt smell like brand new ATF does.

I'm thinking the new converter may have been protected by a covering that was dissolved by the transmission fluid...

• Optimistic
Reactions: 1 user

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I'm thinking the new converter may have been protected by a covering that was dissolved by the transmission fluid...
Hopefully thats the case. Im gonna try and put a few miles on it this week and see how it goes. I will be sure to stay close to home in case it fails!

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
Is it shifting too soft?

Not sure i understand if there's an issud ir not still. Other than the fluid smell/color.

If the transmission works well it will shift soft or hard depending on how far the pedal is pushed down. It should only shift fast and hard if you push it. Otherwise it should be silky smooth.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Is it shifting too soft?

Not sure i understand if there's an issud ir not still. Other than the fluid smell/color.

If the transmission works well it will shift soft or hard depending on how far the pedal is pushed down. It should only shift fast and hard if you push it. Otherwise it should be silky smooth.
It is very smooth. I was just saying with a manual valve body I thought it would be more firm but im not sure what the guy that rebuilt did in terms of other mods. Might not be an issue I was just expecting something different especially when it chirped the tires shifting before the converter change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor