Never ending project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
When I was going to use the late style Monte mirrors, I unscrewed the studs, fitted the Elky gaskets, and sort of test fitted them prior to drilling the holes. This way you can zero in on how to position the mirrors and make a mark using the base gaskets.
I ended up selling the mirrors and will be going with basic '60's style Chevy mirrors.

Andrew, thanks for posting the information on using the Camaro power window components.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
I made the same Mod On My El Camino, I really like the way It came out I have a cable Drivers side and a manual Passenger.

Attachments

• 005-2.jpg
    005-2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 603

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It looks good, Paul.
Perhaps I shouldn't have been too hasty getting rid of them. That's okay. I've decided not to use them.

dirtywhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2009
Mount Solon, VA
OK, so I kind of lost focus on the 'ol wagon for a while. I lost my way, distracted by life in general. Moving, destroying a very expensive 598 ci boat engine TWO seasons in a row, wife going back to school($$$), crazy drug infested neighbor, etc. etc.

I took the ol girl apart a while back to fix a leak around the heater box. When I dropped a fender onto my nonskid garage, the whole car got pushed into the corner and sat patiently. During the last few weeks I have stripped the front end to bare metal the front end for repaint, fixed the leak (I hope)and began the repainting process. Here are a few pics, including a pretty bad screw up. The paint store handed me the wrong catalyst for my clear resulting in some nasty wrinkles on the 2nd coat of clear. While the paint store gave me the wrong product, The label clearly stated the correct catalyst, and I didn't pay close enough attention.

Attachments

• IMAG2190.jpg
    IMAG2190.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 255
  • IMAG2193.jpg
    IMAG2193.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 237
  • IMAG2196.jpg
    IMAG2196.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 243
  • IMAG2199.jpg
    IMAG2199.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 255
  • IMAG2204.jpg
    IMAG2204.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 239
  • IMAG2215.jpg
    IMAG2215.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 264
  • IMAG2238.jpg
    IMAG2238.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 250
  • IMAG2236.jpg
    IMAG2236.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 249
Reactions: 1 user

dirtywhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2009
Mount Solon, VA
OK, so my dash is getting pretty bad. Who has tried one of those cheapo covers? I don't want to mess with one if they don't look good.

I would rather spend the time and $$ to do it right, but If they look good I might give one a try.....What is the general opinion on these???

Last edited:

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Brian,
It's too bad that you have to re-do the paint work up front. Does that mean that you have to re-do the entire front end?
Does that mean everything has to be stripped again?

As for using a dash cap, some people have used them successfully. I still think to recover the dash properly with one, it would have to be either removed, or loosened up.
Perhaps in that case, you might be better off finding a replacement. My old dash would have been a perfect candidate for experimentation...but it got tossed in a dumpster.

A friend of mine had one in his El Camino, and it looked pretty good. The key to making them look good is to make sure there's no protruding edges and cracks that can still be noticed with the dash cap installed. So it would require some prep work prior to installation.

dirtywhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2009
Mount Solon, VA
Thanks Jack, that's what I was thinking too.

As far as my latest paint fubar. I just sat the fenders out in the sun for a few days to make sure it cured as much as possible. Then, I just sanded until smooth. Re-coated with black and cleared it....HOPING for no wrinkles. The last couple of pics above was after round 2. I have the front together now. I drove it down for some fresh gas last night....It needs a good cleaning.

Attachments

• IMAG2254.jpg
    IMAG2254.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 244
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Brian,
I hope there's no further problems with the paint down the road. I guess time will tell. I have a good feeling it will fine. I try to be an optimist...
I'm glad you at least got it together and drivable....that's good news for sure. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor