New Alternator Gets Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I had a chrome 10 SI alternator do the same thing. A new regulator did nothing.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
  • Agree
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
None of the chrome alternators last. The only one that did didn't put out 100 amps like they claim. It was probably 70 or 80 amps. One overcharged and heating like this one, almost right away. The other lasted maybe 3 years. I still don't understand why they didn't copy the 12SI case which easily and was close to 100 amp in factory form. A better fan and more open back are important with higher amperage output.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
None of the chrome alternators last. The only one that did didn't put out 100 amps like they claim. It was probably 70 or 80 amps. One overcharged and heating like this one, almost right away. The other lasted maybe 3 years. I still don't understand why they didn't copy the 12SI case which easily and was close to 100 amp in factory form. A better fan and more open back are important with higher amperage output.
Agreed, but it was that bad?! Damn, whoever made them are either lying about the power specs or have zero QA at the factory.

As much as I like keeping stuff original like the v belt driven 12 SI that is currently in my Bonneville, the Caprice is nice to have a CS130 even though it looks kinda odd due to everything else being v belt.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I think it was both, I would not by another chrome 10SI alternator. I then bought a Champion reman v belt CS130, shows as factory for 88, died after one year on my 88. They could not find me a replacement, they gave me a 94 amp Wilson Reman 12SI. It never charged right, needed revved up to start charging. I went to a serpentine belt setup, I went to a brand new 105 amp Remy with a lifetime warranty CS130 alternator, 2+ years, so far, so good.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I think it was both, I would not by another chrome 10SI alternator. I then bought a Champion reman v belt CS130, shows as factory for 88, died after one year on my 88. They could not find me a replacement, they gave me a 94 amp Wilson Reman 12SI. It never charged right, needed revved up to start charging. I went to a serpentine belt setup, I went to a brand new 105 amp Remy with a lifetime warranty CS130 alternator, 2+ years, so far, so good.
Sounds like an messed up nightmare of alternator swapping 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ Glad Remy was able to provide it, I had no idea they even still made them.

Since you are in Canada, may I say that here in Ontario theres a business called Dixie Electric that remans alternators mostly for industrial uses, but they test beyond OEM standards, so while they are a bit more pricey, their products just last.

Therefore I suppose when you do need a new one, they might be a place to consider. https://www.dixie-electric.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor