new guy with a mount question

Status
Not open for further replies.

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
That appears to be correct. That's the half of the mount that will bolt to your frame cross member. Depending on which engine your car came with from the factory, you may have to drill new mounting holes.

BrownGP83

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2008
Chamberlain,South Dakota
Should not have to drill new mounting holes. These cars had a variety of different engines, including SBC, so the holes are already in the crossmember.

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
I knew they did that in earlier years, wasn't sure if it was true of all years.

KAub

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2009
Rhode Island
You should use the holes that are the farthest to the front and the highest on the frame. I wish a had a picture, but there is one on this site somewhere. You also need Monte Carlo 305 mounts, I found a pair on ebay but supposedly you can still get them from GM.

Project:Restore78Malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2009
Eas Side
yes those are the mounts u need i just recently put a SBC in my 84 cutlass and if u have a V6 now when u swap the mounts you gotta move em forward for it to line up correctly

Project:Restore78Malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2009
Eas Side
i have a pic of wen we had my motor out and you can see my mounts and such jus let me kno if u want the pic

smoknum

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 20, 2007
mounts

don't forget if your cutlass had a 307 in it to change the front springs. The 307 weighs a lot more than the sbc. if you dont change them the car will look like it is doing a wheel stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor