new guy..

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUBLIME80BU

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2016
303LOCAL
Hello everyone, I'm Dan. I just bought an 80 malibu 2 dr 1 week ago... might be a ex-boston police car???

Once i figure out how to resize my pictures ill post a few, and please feel free to give a few pointers/tricks on how this site is best utilized for novice owners, thanks.

Reactions: 1 user

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Welcome to the site! The site isn't too hard to figure out. Youngsters and Oldies can navigate this site pretty easily. Don't be hesitant to ask questions.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Welcome Sublime80bu; I purchased a new 9C1 back in 79 & as of August 1st I've had it 37 years. The easiest way to tell if it is a cop car is the speedo, it will read 120 MPH. My 79 reads to 120 & I would assume that an 1980 would be the same. Other differences will be a 1-1/4 inch front anti sway bar & a 7/8 inch rear. Other differences are more shuttle. I'll get back to ya later as I'm headed out for a bucket tour this week ending up at Car Craft Nat's this coming week-end. Later Ol'e Bob.

SUBLIME80BU

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2016
303LOCAL
DSCN2019.JPG
th
..... found a few pics the dash is weird.. the car was in pieces i wish i would of taken pics of all the milk crates and boxes of parts i pull out of the cab and truck the dash was laying under the hood along with tan sun visors and a roll of red alligator vinyl.. the title says previous owner was the boston police department.. maybe just impounded?? the speedo reads 85.

Last edited:

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Hi Dan. Welcome to the site. There are lots of good folks here, who can help with your Malibu. I'm a long time G body guy, and I purchased an '80 Malibu coupe last November that's a factory V8/4 speed car. Judging from the photo and the info that you've posted so far, I'd have to say that I don't think its a police package car, but as you've mentioned, something that was probably impounded by the police department. What the heck happened to the passenger side of the dash? It looks like someone plastered in the area where the dash vents for the HVAC system are located. You probably have some work ahead of you there. Any and all photos of the rest of the car are welcome.

SUBLIME80BU

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2016
303LOCAL
Thanks Mr. Clean. I have the center vents and the passenger too. I was looking at dash covers and i think if i get one it will give me a good idea where ill need to cut, when i was putting in the dash i had no idea, but i should of known because i found about 30in of duct tubing in the truck i couldnt find a home for because of the plaster job.

All of the switches work and light up. it was tricky mounting the heater switch i only have a soild mounting point on the left side, the right section is gone so it just bounces a bit, the blower motors work as well, but the ac pump was pulled at some point. Ill take it apart and take some pics of the in side of the dash...well the stucco job?

Did the 80 come with an interface thing that dings when the key is turned to the on position? i had the hardest time with the wiring for the interface and the stereo, but it dings and the radio works.

Also does anyone have a lead on a GOOD service manual or a PDA with basic wiring and vacuum diagrams i think im good but i dont want to burn down The G. Iv searched online but i didnt find anything mind blowing.

Thanks for the help.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Hi Dan. I'm a bit confused here. Was the instrument panel (dash) in the car when you got it, or did you install it after you bought the car, and did you do the plastering job, or did it come that way?
I agree that finding the proper factory service manual for the car would be one of the best investments that you could make, to help you get it reassembled properly, and to sort out the electrical system. I'm not sure exactly where you find one in your neck of the woods. Have you tried Ebay? if that doesn't help, are there any swap meets that are local to you? Sometimes, there will be vendors that have manuals for sale.
Good luck with your project. Keep us updated, and post some more photos if you get a chance.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

SUBLIME80BU

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2016
303LOCAL
Hi Dan. I'm a bit confused here. Was the instrument panel (dash) in the car when you got it, or did you install it after you bought the car, and did you do the plastering job, or did it come that way?
I agree that finding the proper factory service manual for the car would be one of the best investments that you could make, to help you get it reassembled properly, and to sort out the electrical system. I'm not sure exactly where you find one in your neck of the woods. Have you tried Ebay? if that doesn't help, are there any swap meets that are local to you? Sometimes, there will be vendors that have manuals for sale.
Good luck with your project. Keep us updated, and post some more photos if you get a chance.

thanks for the info, the dash was out of the cab and laying under the hood on the motor I didnt do the plaster job. the wiring harnness isnt in bad shape better then all of the CJ-7s iv built.. Im not new to building classic cars just new too GM and their wonderful G-bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor