New house

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
My contractor and his helper tore off all my old shingles on all the roofs but one. Repaired some stuff and put on new roofs in three days. They come after I go to work and they are gone before I come home. They keep everything organized and picked up every day. On the weekends he takes his tool trailer home so it is out of the way. Very happy with them. I would start looking for a different contractor if it was me. They are going snail speed. When are they projecting to be done with your house? Five years?

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
It was in the contract to be done 150 days from the date the permit was stamped. Which would be January 13th...

Reactions: 1 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
No way at that speed! They are going to have to kick it in the a## or bring in more help. For your sake I hope it all works out.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Those foam blocks are interesting; I assume they get concrete poured in. It'll roll right along once the foundation is done and the beam is set. I was framing labor in my early teens, and our crew could have an entire 2 story house under roof in a 12-14 hour day. After framing, windows, roofing, and siding things slow down with electricians, HVAC, and plumbers.
Are you doing a sprinkler system?

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Those foam blocks are interesting; I assume they get concrete poured in. It'll roll right along once the foundation is done and the beam is set. I was framing labor in my early teens, and our crew could have an entire 2 story house under roof in a 12-14 hour day. After framing, windows, roofing, and siding things slow down with electricians, HVAC, and plumbers.
Are you doing a sprinkler system?

He's possibly going to pour the foundation this weekend. Yes the middle of the foam blocks get filled with concrete. Basement needs to be insulated inside and out per code. This satisfies that requirement.

Edit- No sprinkler system.

Last edited:

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Train's picking up some speed now. Pouring next week whenever a pump truck is available. Have some loose ends to tie up. Little more bracing, box in the windows, door, etc.

IMG_20190920_163356.jpg

IMG_20190920_163329.jpg

IMG_20190920_165015.jpg

IMG_20190920_163440.jpg

IMG_20190920_163527.jpg

IMG_20190920_163501.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 9 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
43 yards of concrete later and we have a foundation. Builder realized the architect had the rooflines and cathedral ceiling in the wrong direction. Ordered the correct roof trusses, they are three weeks out before they are delivered. He was going to start building the deck (first floor) starting this Friday but doesn't want it in the weather that long. So instead he's going to pour the basement floor and tie up some other small things then start the framing. By the time that's done the trusses will be done and they can be put on.

On another note, I'm going out of town for a month to install some equipment we made at work. Going to Sydney Australia with one co-worker. I bought the wife a ticket so she can come visit for ten days while we're there. Once in a lifetime opportunity. Not ideal to be gone while building a house but I'm not going to turn down the chance to go either. My buddy will be stopping by daily and checking on things while I'm gone.. Let the stress begin!

IMG_20190924_163617.jpg

IMG_20190924_163801.jpg

IMG_20190924_163617.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Not much of a house update but I'll fill everyone in. Only thing that has been done since last post is reinforcement for walls while.being poured has been removed and more stone brought along with the insulation for under the basement floor. Supposed to pour on this Friday but it's looking like rain so I'm betting that's off til next week.

Trusses are three weeks out so he didn't want to do the deck and walls and have them out in weather for that long. So he's pouring the floor, backfilling, and some other small things, then then starting on the framing. By the time that is done the trusses should be here.

The credit union we thru for the construction loan has been an absolute nightmare. Never, ever, go thru Americu. They are completely incompetent and don't follow thru on anything. Took over a week and a half to get the first draw, which ended not being a complete draw because the inspector the sent out never showed up. So I had to call and rip them a new one to get the full first draw amount. Then the "checks will be ready at the local branch" and of course they weren't. Surprise surprise. Needless to say once we're done building we're dumping this credit union and refinancing thru ours asap. We would've stayed with ours but they didn't do construction loans at the time
Now they do 🤦

Just to make matters more stressful, I'm currently at 34k feet on my way to JFk, eventually landing in Sydney Australia for work. For a month. Which sounds like fun, and it probably will be at times, but I'm wicked stressed since we're trying to build a house and having issues. Now I'll be 13k miles away. Well let's see how this goes! LOL

Reactions: 4 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Not much of a house update but I'll fill everyone in. Only thing that has been done since last post is reinforcement for walls while.being poured has been removed and more stone brought along with the insulation for under the basement floor. Supposed to pour on this Friday but it's looking like rain so I'm betting that's off til next week.

Trusses are three weeks out so he didn't want to do the deck and walls and have them out in weather for that long. So he's pouring the floor, backfilling, and some other small things, then then starting on the framing. By the time that is done the trusses should be here.

The credit union we thru for the construction loan has been an absolute nightmare. Never, ever, go thru Americu. They are completely incompetent and don't follow thru on anything. Took over a week and a half to get the first draw, which ended not being a complete draw because the inspector the sent out never showed up. So I had to call and rip them a new one to get the full first draw amount. Then the "checks will be ready at the local branch" and of course they weren't. Surprise surprise. Needless to say once we're done building we're dumping this credit union and refinancing thru ours asap. We would've stayed with ours but they didn't do construction loans at the time
Now they do 🤦

Just to make matters more stressful, I'm currently at 34k feet on my way to JFk, eventually landing in Sydney Australia for work. For a month. Which sounds like fun, and it probably will be at times, but I'm wicked stressed since we're trying to build a house and having issues. Now I'll be 13k miles away. Well let's see how this goes! LOL
This is the perfect time to go.

You can pick up a few holdens, preferably at least 2 Utes, arrange to ship them back, and decide how much extra garage you need.

The slowdowns on the builders part allow them to expand the garage instead to allow space for said holdens.

Win win.

• Optimistic
  • Friendly
Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor