New house

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Wow, congrats man and good luck!

I bought a 103 year old house earlier this year and renovated it with the help of 2 guys, and a few more occasionally, in about 4.5 months after work. Been in it since July. What a job it was, couldn't imagine starting from scratch.
And your taxes sure are low compared to mine here in CNJ!

Enjoy!

Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Wow, congrats man and good luck!

I bought a 103 year old house earlier this year and renovated it with the help of 2 guys, and a few more occasionally, in about 4.5 months after work. Been in it since July. What a job it was, couldn't imagine starting from scratch.
And your taxes sure are low compared to mine here in CNJ!

Enjoy!
Thanks! Having done some remodeling and seeing the pitfalls and problems, i think I'd rather start fresh. At least I know what's going into it and everything is relatively square and level. I couldn't remodel for nearly 5 months! You're a better man than I!

Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Thanks! Having done some remodeling and seeing the pitfalls and problems, i think I'd rather start fresh. At least I know what's going into it and everything is relatively square and level. I couldn't remodel for nearly 5 months! You're a better man than I!
Just curious: what with you being in the snow belt, what made you decide to go slab over basement? (There is some cost, although, you could self "finish" the sq footage off the tax rolls as an extra workshop or some such...)

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Just curious: what with you being in the snow belt, what made you decide to go slab over basement? (There is some cost, although, you could self "finish" the sq footage off the tax rolls as an extra workshop or some such...)
Slab? No slab there. That is the footer for the basement walls which will be 9' tall so it can be finished at a later point.

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Slab? No slab there. That is the footer for the basement walls which will be 9' tall so it can be finished at a later point.
Ok, that makes more sense. Didn't look like a deep hoLe in the pictures for some reason.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Ground is too low around it already. Dirt that was dug out will be going back around the outside of the foundation to bring up ground level higher. Back in the demo section of this thread you can see how rotted the old house was. That was because of water hitting the house because the sill plate was below ground level. 😲

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Wooohooo! That's just the first four courses of foam blocks. They are 16" tall, going with a 9' basement. They might pour it this weekend! Fingers crossed

IMG_20190918_161426.jpg

Reactions: 13 users

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
That is a great looking area you have there , very nice backyard view !

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor