New house

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
So the power company, National Grid, came today and installed the new power pole in the front yard. I was at work but a friend sent this pic giving me a hard time for stopping traffic LOL

FB_IMG_1578082003763.jpg

I drove straight there from work and found this

IMG_20200103_161122.jpg

I was surprised to see the guy wire. The whole point of having underground service was to get rid of ugly wires. Now instead we have a pole and wires in our yard. I know, first world problems... not the end of the world but not what I was expecting. Plus the old pole is still there. Hopefully they remove that one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Could have trenched across the whole road and marooned the guy for a couple days...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I found some landscaping blocks on FB marketplace only a few miles away. Got approximately 450 of them for $100. Used but there's nothing wrong with them. So we spent several hours loading them into the truck, then back out. Three loads in all. That's all my half ton could handle.

In other news, the triangle windows were installed, siding is coming along good, shower pan for the master bath was finally delivered, and spray foamers are scheduled to be here Thursday.

MVIMG_20200106_155610.jpg

IMG_20200106_155533.jpg

IMG_20200106_155914.jpg

Reactions: 11 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I found some landscaping blocks on FB marketplace only a few miles away. Got approximately 450 of them for $100. Used but there's nothing wrong with them. So we spent several hours loading them into the truck, then back out. Three loads in all. That's all my half ton could handle.

In other news, the triangle windows were installed, siding is coming along good, shower pan for the master bath was finally delivered, and spray foamers are scheduled to be here Thursday.

View attachment 132802

View attachment 132803

View attachment 132804
If the landscape blocks are the ones Im thinking they are, running a course of 8x8x16 cinder block with a little cement below the first layer keeps everything flat as they settle in.

20170509_125730.jpg

My OCD can't handle tilting and uneven tops. Hard to tell, but there's three equally spaced/matching curves inwards on each side (like matching letter Js on their side with each top touching the tailed before it), and, at two of those the wall elevation changes for the next segment. But 7 years later, still flat across the tops where you could sit a level on it.

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Wow that looks great ck80! We probably won't be ready to do anything with them til the middle of summer at the earliest. The lawn will be a mess with all of the trenches that had to be dug along with the septic system. Hoping we can just get the lawn fixed and semi normal by mid summer. I have a sneaking suspicion that's a pipe dream, but we shall see.

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Wow that looks great ck80! We probably won't be ready to do anything with them til the middle of summer at the earliest. The lawn will be a mess with all of the trenches that had to be dug along with the septic system. Hoping we can just get the lawn fixed and semi normal by mid summer. I have a sneaking suspicion that's a pipe dream, but we shall see.
Thanks, i was pretty happy with it all. You wouldn't know it from the picture, but the house itself was 82 feet wide upstairs. Those blocks can really break that length up, that's why I came up with the sideways "J" arrangement. Helped create different terrace levels on the side of the house too since we had a walkout.

First section was maybe 10 feet from the house, then 8, then 6. Helped break up the profile of the long walls. That sounds like a lot of depth until you figure the mature depth of bushes. It's nice to leave some space to bury some evenly spaced terrace cotta/clay pots in a row in front about a foot behind the wall too.

Why bury the pots? Well, idea is you buy multiples the same size as you bury. Then, as the seasons change, you plant different flowers in a second pot and slide it into the buried pot. The lip of the new pot is only about 1" higher than the buried one so you don't see it. Then as flowers die, or blooming season changes no digging or getting dirt onto the rocks/mulch. Just pull a pot out, repot on a table with something new like mums in the fall, and slide the new pot in. No mess, and the clay/tetra cotta is moisture transferring so watering isn't a huge deal either, at least not more than it usually is.

Reactions: 1 user

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
That sucks :( Trust me, I know how you feel. Unfortunately we really don't have any other choice so we're trying to walk a fine line of kicking him in the *ss and not saying anything. We'd never be able to find someone to finish/build it as cheap as he is. And the work he does is good, just very slow at times. I guess if we wanted quicker we should've paid more, but that just wasn't in the cards.
Like the old saying fast, cheap, or right. You can only pick two

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Electrical panel hung, wire run thru conduit to meter pole in front yard, inspection passed, power company called to turn power on. Main floor cleaned up for spray foamers.

IMG_20200107_161854.jpg

IMG_20200107_161939.jpg

IMG_20200107_162002.jpg

Reactions: 10 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
LOVE IT!! GFI CIRCUIT AND IT PASSED!

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor