Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 27, 2016
image.jpeg
Hello. Thought I'd post here and say this site has good info on it

My car. 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix
73 Pontiac 455/ th350
12 bolt 3:31 gears
SC&C stage II plus
Factory Aluminum: hood, rad support, bumper cores, rear window valance, brake drums, gta wheels
Other new parts over the years. The List seams endless
Build in progress....

Formally a low 12sec 1/4 car. Stock...ish Recently turned into a autox/road racer. Been in and around this car for long time... It's Originally a light blue with matching interior bench seat, column shift, non a/c car. Had a good summer ripping around. made it to 4 autox events and the car Needs a sticker tire to really preform though... Averaged upper mid pack. 30 ish cars overall.
Hoping to get better pics and vids... Next year... Maybe get to race once more, lol

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Cool car! Welcome to the site from Houston.

mando13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 30, 2016
Yes,that is a really nice car.I use to have one of those back in the late 90's but sold it to buy a 64 impala.
Welcome to the forum.
Mando

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Welcome GXTPO; "Formally a low 12sec 1/4 car." Very impressive! And you auto-X too, double impressive. Have ya been on a road course yet? Where ya from? Any chance that you can make the Car Craft Nat's next summer, held in Milwaukee, Wisc? I've been able to attend the last two summers and run the auto-X a few times. Ground a bunch of rubber off the tires & my arms were even sore the next day from all the steer'in! Check out the events area on the forum here for some pictures. I hate to admit it but your car is a bit quicker than mine as I only run mid 12's at the drags. But I may have a slight advantage on the auto-X as I have less front end mass? So if ya can make the Car Craft Nat's you're more than welcome to challenge me? But be warned don't challenge the Green Machine (I call it the Hulk) here as it has been built just to auto-X, They (UMI) would blow us both away. And I have a feeling he-they will be able to out drag us by next summer, as I understand they are upping the power levels for next year? We have a nice road course here (Black Hawk Farms) & I was lucky enough to get out their for 5 free touring laps a few years back. Maxim Fun, think of a drag strip & auto-X combined. I should mention the road course is Way hard on your car, the engine & chassis get used to the limits. Except to buy tires & brakes the after a road course day! Ya have a fine automobile their & your hav'in FUN. Enjoy Ol'e Bob.

GXTPO

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 27, 2016
Welcome GXTPO; "Formally a low 12sec 1/4 car." Very impressive! And you auto-X too, double impressive. Have ya been on a road course yet? Where ya from? Any chance that you can make the Car Craft Nat's next summer, held in Milwaukee, Wisc? I've been able to attend the last two summers and run the auto-X a few times. Ground a bunch of rubber off the tires & my arms were even sore the next day from all the steer'in! Check out the events area on the forum here for some pictures. I hate to admit it but your car is a bit quicker than mine as I only run mid 12's at the drags. But I may have a slight advantage on the auto-X as I have less front end mass? So if ya can make the Car Craft Nat's you're more than welcome to challenge me? But be warned don't challenge the Green Machine (I call it the Hulk) here as it has been built just to auto-X, They (UMI) would blow us both away. And I have a feeling he-they will be able to out drag us by next summer, as I understand they are upping the power levels for next year? We have a nice road course here (Black Hawk Farms) & I was lucky enough to get out their for 5 free touring laps a few years back. Maxim Fun, think of a drag strip & auto-X combined. I should mention the road course is Way hard on your car, the engine & chassis get used to the limits. Except to buy tires & brakes the after a road course day! Ya have a fine automobile their & your hav'in FUN. Enjoy Ol'e Bob.

Thanks for the complement... As much as I would love to run the good guys events. I'm in Alberta Canada. Google says its a 24hr(1600ish miles) drive one way to Milwaukee. Though Id like to see the umi green machine run. The Videos look awesome. So maybe someday I'll make a event. Need to convince the family this is how our holiday should be spent. Hahaha

I have driven a road course in my 05 cts-v before it sold... Had a blast and that's why this car has been turned into a left/right racer. I'd say the hardest thing on that car in road racing is the brakes and the amount of motor revs. Lost my brake pedal once/twice. Before I learned how to manage/mantain them. Autox seams to be harder on tie rod ends and such. From the quick side to side.

My plans for next year are to hit a local road course for a open track event, 1/4 mile, and a few of the local autox. Need to get the bugs out of a few things to make it more reliable.. A manual would make it more drivable to events as well.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Welcome to the site from Calgary!

Whereabouts in Alberta are you? I'm only aware of one or two autocross events around locally, I'd love to hear where the ones you've attended are.

I'm building my 455/T56 6 speed powered '80 Cutlass (affectionately known as The Juggernaut) to be a triple threat multi event competitor as well.

If you're interested, check out my build thread here:

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/the-juggernaut-build-thread.55095/

I'd love to compare notes and builds with another ProTouring style guy, especially one that may be fairly close by.
:)
Your Grand Prix is bitchin'. I, as well as the rest of the guys here I'm sure would love to see and hear some more details on your bad *ss ride. Especially more pics. We all love to drool over pics!

Cheers,
Donovan

GXTPO

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 27, 2016
Welcome to the site from Calgary!

Whereabouts in Alberta are you? I'm only aware of one or two autocross events around locally, I'd love to hear where the ones you've attended are.

I'm building my 455/T56 6 speed powered '80 Cutlass (affectionately known as The Juggernaut) to be a triple threat multi event competitor as well.

If you're interested, check out my build thread here:

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/the-juggernaut-build-thread.55095/

I'd love to compare notes and builds with another ProTouring style guy, especially one that may be fairly close by.
Your Grand Prix is bitchin'. I, as well as the rest of the guys here I'm sure would love to see and hear some more details on your bad *ss ride. Especially more pics. We all love to drool over pics!

Cheers,
Donovan

I've read your build thead among others, and am familiar but I'm behind apparently. Catching up currently..... Love the plate, by the way...
I'm located in red deer... And have been driving with the local club. I've heard rumours of the Calgary club running at the old park and jet. If they are still there next year, I plan on a trip or two. These old 455's need some space to run... Lol.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I've read your build thead among others, and am familiar but I'm behind apparently. Catching up currently..... Love the plate, by the way...
I'm located in red deer... And have been driving with the local club. I've heard rumours of the Calgary club running at the old park and jet. If they are still there next year, I plan on a trip or two. These old 455's need some space to run... Lol.

Thanks for checking out my thread. It's a bit of reading, I'll
say that for sure.​
I had my suspicions that you may have been from Red Deer, judging by the Woody's RV sign in the background.
Lol
Thanks for the compliment on my plate, I appreciate it.
Is there any online schedule of auto cross and/or road course events in the province that you know of?
I'd like to start attending more, I've only seen Solo 1 and 2 events back when we had Race City, and the auto cross event the Street Wheelers hold in Lethbridge.

If you ever find yourself down this way, hit me up. I'd love to meet and bench race with another G body enthusiast.
Donovan

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor