New rear end gears -

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck1984

Apprentice
Sep 19, 2021
With the 3.55 gears it should roast the tires off the line. I could with a 8 to 1 Olds 350, 1900 stall 2004R and a 3.42 no slip rear. What diameter of tires are on it?
what do mean 8 to 1 olds?
2.741st gear X 3.42 =9.4

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Sorry, I was taking about MJScarangella build and how my 88 was set up. My motor was a 7.9 to 1 compression, 204/214 cam and shorty headers, dual exhaust, otherwise a stock 76 Olds 350 motor. It was 160 hp and 275 ft/lbs stock, not a fire breather, the cam and exhaust definitely helped. It ran 9.9 in the 1/8 mile with breaking up over 4000 rpm. I should have been able to run a couple of tenths quicker. It just shows a stock 5.3 truck tune sucks, its power rating should be more than enough.

Last edited:

ck1984

Apprentice
Sep 19, 2021
Sorry, 7.9 to 1 compression, 204/214 cam and shorty headers, dual exhaust, otherwise a stock 76 Olds 350 motor. It was 160 hp and 275 ft/lbs stock. It just shows a stock 5.3 truck tune sucks.
thats pretty low compression usually reserved for FORCED AIR?

So how /where do you recomend getting a tune for my car with truck engine in PA or saskatoon area??
What happens when a tuner finds you have a problem preventing good/max runs? like for eg; my car seem to be running very rich; is it cuz the truck tune sucks in a car 2000 lbs lighter or a leaky/bad injector or whatever else.
do you still pay most or all of the 750 -1100 cdn they typically charge then go away, fix your problem and have to start all over with another 750-1100 cdn dyno-tuning?

is there a way to tune for best 1/4 mile? like trying to get the Tq peak and HP peak as far apart as possible while still achieving a happy medium of high rpm hp and good low end tq?

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
With the 3.55 gears it should roast the tires off the line. I could with a 8 to 1 Olds 350, 1900 stall 2004R and a 3.42 no slip rear. What diameter of tires are on it?
8x17 rims, 235/45ZR-17 gummy summer tires. I have the old 195/45R14s... I'm sure they'd burn. lol. The car handles really well, and accelerates great, just not from idle. I actually like the V6 springs in the front; has a bit of a rake but plenty of ground clearance. Since it was a low mile car, I honestly can't believe how well it corners.... in the past I had borrowed a friend's Buick and it rolled like a SOB on a worn-out suspension.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Motorheadmike is in the Saskatoon area, he has tuned these LS a lot. PM him. Yeah, the mid 70's motors were very detuned for emissions.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
8x17 rims, 235/45ZR-17 gummy summer tires. I have the old 195/45R14s... I'm sure they'd burn. lol. The car handles really well, and accelerates great, just not from idle. I actually like the V6 springs in the front; has a bit of a rake but plenty of ground clearance. Since it was a low mile car, I honestly can't believe how well it corners.... in the past I had borrowed a friend's Buick and it rolled like a SOB on a worn-out suspension.
That is a short tire too. Another reason I happy to see my 88 Cutlass go, it handled like a washing machine on pillows.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Do you have a link to that crate engine? a guy was just trying to buy my incomplete one and i was trying to tell him hes gonna spend at least 3000 cdn retrofittin it into his transam, he might be better off with a more complete used or crate engine.
Did you get the ratios changed in the 4L60?
some transmission expert on here said to multiply the 1st gear ratio x rear gear ratio and if you get over 9 you are in a high performance bracket, 10 or 11 and you can race for pink slips ;-)[im paraphrasing]
so if you got 3.06 1st gear X 3.55 posi=10.9 it should go like a bat out of hell?!
i have basically your same engine , well used, 2.29 rear X 2.52 1st gear =5.8.....it does NOT go like a bat out hell, least not off the line!

right now ive got a choice between some 3.08 gears i can strip out of an old complete rearend for 300 cdn
OR just buy some 3.73s and carrier for 150 cdn

im sure the 3.73s will be fun light to light but will have to put gerry cans of gas in the trunk to do any roadtrips, lol which will eat up the 150 dollars saved quite quickly
things that make you go Hmmmm?
These guys sold me an ATK rebuilt engine. I originally bought the engine from Summit, but their supply chain was effed up due to covid and they cancelled the order. Jegs also sold it for the same price. They are all selling the same ATK rebuilt engine, either assembled in Mexico or USA. So you can find this long block on Summit, Jegs, Jasper, etc. I shipped them back my junkyard engine with a bunch of header bolt snapped off in the heads...

When I was considering taking the heads off and having them refreshed, I figured, why spend $500 on heads if the junkyard engine burns oil. Looking back, that is stupid rationale to spend $2,500. Next time I do a swap, I'm definitely using the junkyard stock bottom end.

https://www.powertrainproducts.net/Chevy-5-3-Engine-1999-2006-Trucks-vin-T-Z-p/1078.htm

ck1984

Apprentice
Sep 19, 2021
That is a short tire too. Another reason I happy to see my 88 Cutlass go, it handled like a washing machine on pillows.
ITS OFFICIAL, Canada is now MORE COMMUNIST than moscow. Moscow mayor was forced by people to remove all covid restrictions a few weeks before my province goes FULL COMMIE SEPT 18TH
and a crime minister who attracted more haters at every rally gets re-elected? faker than president jo biden!

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, no surprise, we know how our system works. Ontario and Quebec makes our government. It would have helped if the Conservatives didn't choose an Irishman named O'Toole, seriously?

ck1984

Apprentice
Sep 19, 2021
Yeah, no surprise, we know how our system works. Ontario and Quebec makes our government. It would have helped if the Conservatives didn't choose an Irishman named O'Toole, seriously?
Yeah the west needs to WEXIT or at least get all the benefits Quebec gets
Our own pension, our own police force, NO MORE Equalization payments/our own tax dollars, that dont get sent to ottowa then biased towards quebec

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor