New rims on my Cutlass (You're gonna hate this!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sickolds

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2010
dude you need to extend the control arms 1 inch to move the rims to the back

tonchis97

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2010
I recommend not cutting. I have an 84 cutlass on 22s and I cutted my inner fender so now every time it hit it it cuts a bit of the tire. But it's all up to you man

Cuttin up

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 24, 2010
Powhatan, VA
so many haters, afraid of change. you can't keep building the same car over and over, you've gotta spice it up a bit. i dig it. everything is reversible if you do it correctly and don't hack the car up. me and buddy are gonna do up his 85 monte ls on no less than 26's with 7 inches of lift!

stallings.sean

Apprentice
Sep 20, 2010
windsor, OH
Cuttin up said:
so many haters, afraid of change. you can't keep building the same car over and over, you've gotta spice it up a bit. i dig it. everything is reversible if you do it correctly and don't hack the car up. me and buddy are gonna do up his 85 monte ls on no less than 26's with 7 inches of lift!

I agree, if you do it right it can be reversed.
Personally I would never put a 7 inch lift on my CAR or 26 inch rims either...but its not my car.

In regards to the original post, not my style, again, Id never do it but it looks alright.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Cuttin up said:

You know that you don't need a lift kit to fit 26s on a Monte, right? 7 inches would be overkill for 26s, unless your using chunky truck tires, but who does that these days?

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
My take on this is simple....safety comes first. If you never plan on driving this car (or any like it) on the street, its fine to customize it to your taste. But, altered cars like this and especially the more extreme ones, become dangerous to drive and unsafe. They dont handle well, the wheel nuts break off going around corners, ball joints break, etc. There are laws that say what is legal to run on the road and what is not and the reasons are pretty clear. Headlights on high vehicles blind oncoming traffic. And the bumpers are not low enough to offer any protection from front or rear collisions. How these cars pass inspection is a wonder to me. As far as Im concerned, they shouldnt be allowed on public roads. Call me old fashioned, but I had to live by those rules, so I would expect everyone else would have to as well.

Cuttin up

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 24, 2010
Powhatan, VA
Qdub24 said:
Cuttin up said:

You know that you don't need a lift kit to fit 26s on a Monte, right? 7 inches would be overkill for 26s, unless your using chunky truck tires, but who does that these days?

yeah 7 is probably to much from rough measurements 4 to 5 is what it'll take to get the front to turn.

bill said:
My take on this is simple....safety comes first. If you never plan on driving this car (or any like it) on the street, its fine to customize it to your taste. But, altered cars like this and especially the more extreme ones, become dangerous to drive and unsafe. They dont handle well, the wheel nuts break off going around corners, ball joints break, etc. There are laws that say what is legal to run on the road and what is not and the reasons are pretty clear. Headlights on high vehicles blind oncoming traffic. And the bumpers are not low enough to offer any protection from front or rear collisions. How these cars pass inspection is a wonder to me. As far as Im concerned, they shouldnt be allowed on public roads. Call me old fashioned, but I had to live by those rules, so I would expect everyone else would have to as well.

when done correctly they are no different from a sky high pickup truck. center of gravity is the issue. you can't drive it like an indy car, you have to drive it like a dump truck. and besides these cars are for weekend kick around and not for daily driving. and yes most of this is illegal here in VA, but so is everything else. trust me i have enough "too low" tickets from my minitruck days.

T-TOP TONY

Master Mechanic
Jun 13, 2008
san bernardino, ca
I have a question. Why are you lifting it? I have 22 on my monte and i lowered it 2 inches. My friend has an 87 442 with 22s he didnt need no lift

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor