New to me 1982 Grand National project basket case

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
When my brother bought his 78 Z28 back from our Uncle, I saw the writing on the wall. I went to community college to learn the basics on 3/8" plate, then had to teach myself on sheet metal. Here is the thread on that car if you ever get bored and need something to check out.....

I’ll read up on it! I’ve got a couple friends that can weld so I may call on them to swing by once I’m ready. My dad and granddad supposedly have a miller mig welder that has been in storage for a good while but don’t want to sell it or let me borrow it so I just decided to bite the bullet tonight

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Having an experienced welder to coach you is priceless. If you can swing that, do it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
Having an experienced welder to coach you is priceless. If you can swing that, do it.

I’m definitely going to try getting atleast one here for sure, I think I’ll only have to do two beads and that is for the front brace that goes from a-pillar to a-pillar most everything else will be plug welding. I’m still undecided if I’m going to replace both a pillars or buy new ones and patch the area around where the sun visors mount

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Go drop that $300 deposit on the gas bottle! :banana:
We bought both of ours (1 75/25, 1 Tri-mix). I don't remember what we spent. We bought them at the welding supply. I guess that's the same as a deposit. Dad used to rent his in the 80's.

Reactions: 2 users

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
Got the cart this morning and got it assembled.

Attachments

• 18F61E7C-4B32-405D-8CD7-9F7384F282C0.jpeg
    18F61E7C-4B32-405D-8CD7-9F7384F282C0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 149
Reactions: 5 users

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
I was reading up on the cross members it is my understanding the 84 up cars with the 2004r had some extra length where it mounts to the frame for the cross member is that correct? Only reason I ask is I’ll probably be sandblasting the frame soon once I get the suspension removed. I will have access to my charred remains of my 86 GN didn’t know if I could just cut the extra section I need out of it if it’s necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor