New to me 86 GN

Status
Not open for further replies.

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
Snap a pic of the injectors. The 60's and the chip may have come from Turbo Tweak as a package.

Reactions: 1 user

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017

• Indifferent
Reactions: 1 users

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Just ordered a Scanmaster G with data logger so it has fast data feed and blue tooth connect. Almost $600, hope it was worth it. 😓

I guess just having peace of mind being able to know what the car is doing will be worth it. Just burns me paying that much for electronics that are extremely outdated, Bluetooth has been around for like 15+ years and other than that we're talking mid 90's electronics sophistication.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
There is nothing cheep about a Buick turbo six!
Unfortunately true I'm learning. I kinda knew that going into it. I think this particular purchase just annoys me because at the end of the day it's still basically just 1986 technology... My $100 smartphone is probably 1000 times more powerful than anything that ECU can do and just had to plop down all that cash on it lol.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
You can upgrade the technology, but that cost a lot more money. You can go to a Holley ECU for around 2 grand. There are cheaper options, but if you are going to do it might as well do it.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
You can upgrade the technology, but that cost a lot more money. You can go to a Holley ECU for around 2 grand. There are cheaper options, but if you are going to do it might as well do it.
Was thinking about getting the MS3 pro plug and play ECU for a turbo Buick. It's about $1300 but now that I already pulled the trigger on this setup I'm going to stick with it for now. Still significantly cheaper and hopefully (hopefully) will be all I need computer wise. I know it's capable of more performance than I'm going to shoot for, as one or two people pointed out in this thread people are doing mid tens or better on the stock computer with a chip, and scanmaster/Data logger, so it should in theory be more than good enough.

I build/repair PC's sometimes, and looking at what the data logger is, if it wasn't specifically made for and sold as a Turbo Buick part it would probably cost like $15 😂

Reactions: 1 users

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
Unfortunately true I'm learning. I kinda knew that going into it. I think this particular purchase just annoys me because at the end of the day it's still basically just 1986 technology... My $100 smartphone is probably 1000 times more powerful than anything that ECU can do and just had to plop down all that cash on it lol.

Well, I've been running these cars for 20 years, and all I have is the regular scanmaster. You don't have to step right up and buy the most expensive stuff. I'm under the impression by reading your posts you have quite a lot of other stuff to take care of, and maybe that money should be spent more carefully.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Well, I've been running these cars for 20 years, and all I have is the regular scanmaster. You don't have to step right up and buy the most expensive stuff. I'm under the impression by reading your posts you have quite a lot of other stuff to take care of, and maybe that money should be spent more carefully.

The difference between the gauge style scanmaster with Bluetooth and the older original style scanmaster was pretty insignificant I figured it was worth it (like $10). I definitely was under the impression that I needed a Scanmaster for sure, just to be able to easily check the millivolts on all the sensors and check malfunction codes. Will be useful I think. I guess maybe the power logger may not be needed but people were suggesting it.

I have very little time to work on the thing unfortunately.

I have to replace the brake pads and rotors and tires at the very least for safety, maybe other things once I get into it.

Still need to break out my compression tester, my friend has a cooling system pressure tester I'd like to check that out too, to feel better about the overall health of the engine.

I know this car is going to be a money pit.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
You guys aware of any company that sold front mount intercoolers for turbo Buicks that had their inlet and outlet pipes just to each side of the radiator about mid way up. The front mount intercoolers I usually see have inlet/outlet pipes that go under the radiator. I'm starting to think the intercooler in the car is from a power stroke diesel but I'm not sure. Is there any way to tell without taking it out of the car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor