Kemper1976

Greasemonkey
Jul 25, 2017
Topeka, KS

Kemper1976

Greasemonkey
Jul 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
If I can get my 5.3 turbo swap to look somewhat that clean I will be happy! However, my EFI 355 looked like it didn't even run so I'm hopeful!
I bet it'll be great once you're done. How far along are you on your 5.3 Turbo swap yet?

It takes some creative wiring and hose placement to get everything out of sight. A lot of times its what you can't see that makes the difference. I worked about two hours each night from March 2016 to August 2016 to get my car together and mobile. It was long enough each night to still get a lot done without get frustrated or completely defeated.

I did all the fabrication, engine ,transmission, wiring, body work, paint myself. The only thing I outsourced was the windshield installation. I didn't paint the car until May 22, 2017. There's still some small things I want to change/replace, but for now I'm just going to enjoy driving it.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I bet it'll be great once you're done. How far along are you on your 5.3 Turbo swap yet?

It takes some creative wiring and hose placement to get everything out of sight. A lot of times its what you can't see that makes the difference. I worked about two hours each night from March 2016 to August 2016 to get my car together and mobile. It was long enough each night not to still get a lot done without get frustrated or completely defeated.

I did all the fabrication, engine ,transmission, wiring, body work, paint myself. The only thing I outsourced was the windshield installation. I didn't paint the car until May 22, 2017. There's still some small things I want to change/replace, but for now I'm just going to enjoy driving it.
I'm 5+ years in on my body off resto. It's currently in paint jail lol. It was jammed last November, but another car slid in and luckily is about finished. My cutlass should be painted in the next couple months. Then it will be off to the races getting it back together!

As far as the 5.3, I've got quite a ways to go! Parts $$$ is slow going right now but working on getting the valvetrain parts ordered. Then I will have the machine shop give the 5.3 heads some love. I plan on running twins...something like 62's. It will be a cruiser when finished, but I want to be able to have some fun at will.
Here is a pic of the short block I finished up last month...
20170607_155215.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Kemper1976

Greasemonkey
Jul 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
I'm 5+ years in on my body off resto. It's currently in paint jail lol. It was jammed last November, but another car slid in and luckily is about finished. My cutlass should be painted in the next couple months. Then it will be off to the races getting it back together!

As far as the 5.3, I've got quite a ways to go! Parts $$$ is slow going right now but working on getting the valvetrain parts ordered. Then I will have the machine shop give the 5.3 heads some love. I plan on running twins...something like 62's. It will be a cruiser when finished, but I want to be able to have some fun at will.
Here is a pic of the short block I finished up last month... View attachment 71078
It always feels like they're never coming together then next thing you know, they're done. Well, they're never done really until you sell them ha!

Bet you can't wait to stuff that 5.3 in there. Those motors are so impressive with forced induction. If you end up going with the 62's you'll really like them. They should spool pretty darn quick.
Do you know what Cam you're using yet?

Kemper1976

Greasemonkey
Jul 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
It always feels like they're never coming together then next thing you know, they're done. Well, they're never done really until you sell them ha!

Bet you can't wait to stuff that 5.3 in there. Those motors are so impressive with forced induction. If you end up going with the 62's you'll really like them. They should spool pretty darn quick.
Do you know what Cam you're using yet?
I stuffed it with a Tick turbo stage 1 cam.
209/220 @ .050, .613/.590 on a 114 LSA.

Getting ready to order up a BTR spring kit, still debating on which lifters to get. People say go ls7 lifters, get morels(too pricey for me). Any advice on lifters??? I'm an old school small block guy, but trying to learn as much as I can about the LS so that I can do all the tuning myself.

Reactions: 1 user

Kemper1976

Greasemonkey
Jul 25, 2017
Topeka, KS

Getting ready to order up a BTR spring kit, still debating on which lifters to get. People say go ls7 lifters, get morels(too pricey for me). Any advice on lifters??? I'm an old school small block guy, but trying to learn as much as I can about the LS so that I can do all the tuning myself.

Great choice on the cam. Your motor should make a ton of power, sound really good idling and be very streetable. You can easily make that cam sound really wild or really tame with tuning.

If you're a small block guy, you've probably already noticed how much easier the Ls motor is to work on. My only complaint is the fact the heads have to come off to change the lifters. I suppose if I'm at that point I should just have the motor out anyways.

I used new LS7 lifters in my motor and so far, haven't had any issues. The general consensus seems to be they're a great lifter for the money.
If you haven't already, make sure to get new lifter trays/guides/cups (everyone calls them something different). Cheap insurance.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor