newbie questoin about up22 race weight cowl hood..

Status
Not open for further replies.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
im thinking there pin on only.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
whitetrash_royalty said:
Do you pin it down with just hood pins or can i bolt the hood hinges on it and use hood pins in the front??

Pin-on hoods are just that, you need hood pins at all 4 corners.

Bolt-on hoods are, well, bolt-on. As in they have the provisions for the hood hinges as well as the front latch.

If this is a street car, don't mess with a Pin-on hood. Yeah, they are cheaper in the short term but your going to have a lot more fabrication to actually fit it to the car than you would a Bolt-on hood. Not to mention, you have to find a place to set the hood everytime you want to get to the engine.

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
What do you mean, "fabrication to fit?" I was planning on buying one of these hoods...how much trouble is it really to get a pin-on hood to fit?

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
it means you have to actually sand and grind ans possibly add fiberglass or some sort of filler to eather remove materal or add materal to get the hood to fit and look correct. its not gonna be a perfect fit when you buy it. there will be imperfections from the molding process that youll have to get fixed or fix yerself. its a good way to learn basic body werk imo. not to mention yer gonna have to mount pins on the car and then drill and reinforce the holes drilled in the hood so it doesnt start cracking. and like FE#X said, where ya gonna put the hood when yer werkin on the engine? if ya wanna do it that way thats good, just do research and get to hitting the books.

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
I dont care about it looking perfect, I care about weight savings. I think i'll buy a lift-off hood. And where are you gonna put the hood?? easy! On the ground! Or on top of the roof! :) I'm just goign to flat-black it anyways. I think fibreglass lift-off is the answer for me, that way I can get rid of the weight of the hood hinges and springs, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor