Not open for further replies.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
Re: Harmonic balancer bolt

soba_03 said:
Dr,

I'm going to assume a couple of things, First if it's an automatic and you still have the Flexplate connected to the trans and the trans is still in the car. If it's in park it shouldn't roll over when you try and remove the Harmonic balalncer bolt. Same with a manual if it's in gear.

If it's already disconnected from the trans, then a screwdriver wedged against the block will work without causing problems. Once you get the bolt off rent borrow or buy the right puller for the balancer or you might pull it apart trying to use the wrong puller. I used a 1/2" breaker bar and a cheater pipe. It finally came loose. Good luck to you.

I find this post quite confusing. Are you trying to say the engine won't spin when the car is in park? Because that sure isn't the case ... if it was you'd have to start the car in gear .... and yes since I am not working on the transmission at all .... assuming the flywheel and torque converter are attached are very good assumptions. Did they make a non-Diesel 81 with a manual trans? Vehicle is in my signature.

soba_03

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2008
Louisville Kentucky
RE: YES I am and IDIOT!

NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER answer a post within moments of waking up! You are Correct in assuming that the engine would turn over. Guess it would be a real bugger at stop lights if as the engine turned and the transmission wanted to keep the rear wheels turning. What I was think at this point was really beyond me... Ignore all Previous post from SOBA_03 I obviously need medication.

Ok start again, as for the manual comment wasn't sure what you were working on. Could be an early year Olds with a manual. So I don't feel as much like a horses A$$ as I did about the auto transmission statement.

I will climb back under the rock from which I came... Sorry for any confusion..

Regards!

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
Re: RE: YES I am and IDIOT!

a-ha! success has been had tonight.
2 guys
1 really long breaker bar
and a "loaner tool" fan clutch wrench fron Advanced

I screwed in 4 bolts from my puller set and held them with still with the fan clutch wrench while my buddy leaned on the breaker bar .... despite hurting my left index finger (first attempt we had a small slip) and then pinching my arm between the wrench and the alternator bracket - it broke free and there was no bloodshed. Now I can go on and get this done ... be nice if it wasn't in the low teens and icy.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Re: RE: YES I am and IDIOT!

soba_03 said:
NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER answer a post within moments of waking up! You are Correct in assuming that the engine would turn over. Guess it would be a real bugger at stop lights if as the engine turned and the transmission wanted to keep the rear wheels turning. What I was think at this point was really beyond me... Ignore all Previous post from SOBA_03 I obviously need medication.

Ok start again, as for the manual comment wasn't sure what you were working on. Could be an early year Olds with a manual. So I don't feel as much like a horses A$$ as I did about the auto transmission statement.

I will climb back under the rock from which I came... Sorry for any confusion..

Regards!

LOL it's cool, I mess up here and there as well. Usually it's easier for me to blame it on BEER! haha cheer's everyone

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
DrRansom442 said:
Damned timing chain must have come off completely.

That's a real b*tch, good luck. (I have an iron mallet I use specifically for nasty tight bolts which don't budge, it was my best 2$ swap meet investment)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor